Nah 2:1 (1:15)

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
S_Walch

Nah 2:1 (1:15)

Post by S_Walch »

הנה על ההרים רגלי מבשר משמיע שלום חגי יהודה חגיך שלמי נדריך כי לא יוסיף עוד לעבר בך בליעל כלה נכרת
Is there any way to determine whether מבשר couldn't be a noun, rather than a participle?

This verse came up on another forum regarding participles, and I can't really figure out if there's a definite way to determine whether a participle, couldn't just be a noun.

The same applies to משמיע: does this have to be a participle, or is it a construct noun?

"Look upon the mountains! The feet of the herald, the announcer of peace: "Celebrate your festivals, O Judah! Complete your vows! For never again shall he invade you; the evil one has finally been cut down!"
Ste Walch
kwrandolph

Re: Nah 2:1 (1:15)

Post by kwrandolph »

S_Walch wrote:Is there any way to determine whether מבשר couldn't be a noun, rather than a participle?
Most “participles” in Biblical Hebrew are really nouns. One use is similar to the English gerund. Another refers to the actor performing the action.

As for translation, because of the differences between the grammars and syntaxes of the Biblical Hebrew and English, it’s often smoother to translate them as verbs in English when they are really nouns and gerunds in Hebrew.
S_Walch wrote:This verse came up on another forum regarding participles, and I can't really figure out if there's a definite way to determine whether a participle, couldn't just be a noun.
Which other forum?

The more I read Bible, the more I’m inclined to think that there’s no such thing as a participle in Biblical Hebrew. But translation is a different thing, as noted above, so how we translate is different from how we understand the text within pre-Babylonian exile Biblical Hebrew.
S_Walch wrote:The same applies to משמיע: does this have to be a participle, or is it a construct noun?
Noun.
S_Walch wrote:"Look upon the mountains! The feet of the herald, the announcer of peace: "Celebrate your festivals, O Judah! Complete your vows! For never again shall he invade you; the evil one has finally been cut down!"
A rather free translation, but yeah, close enough.

Karl W. Randolph.