Generalized meaning of the word שלום, a homograph?

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
kwrandolph

Generalized meaning of the word שלום, a homograph?

Post by kwrandolph »

Without going into specifics, has anyone considered that שלום may be a homograph, from two different roots? That came to mind as I considered a previous thread. I think it might be an idea to throw out as a possibility for consideration as its own thread without arguing the previous thread.

There are a few cases of a root ending in a Heh has a derivative ending in Waw Mem ום- with possibly the most famous being ערום found in Isaiah 20:2–4, Ezekiel 18:16 coming from the root ערה “to make bare, uncovered”. Where we notice it is in Genesis 2:25, where the very next verse, Genesis 3:1, has the exactly same written word meaning “crafty” from the root ערם “act with forethought”. Two different roots, same homograph.

Now we have two other roots:

‎שלה to be confident, at peace Hiphil give reason for confidence, satisfaction

‎שלם to make whole, to fill in what was lacking, to fulfill (curses, promises ⇒ to give settlement both pleasing and displeasing) ⇒ to repay, pay back

Is anyone ready to argue that שלום is a homograph from two different roots?

Karl W. Randolph.
Michael W Abernathy

Re: Generalized meaning of the word שלום, a homograph?

Post by Michael W Abernathy »

Karl,
As far as I can tell some form of the word was common in the middle eastern languages. The Akkadian šalāmu(m) meant "to be (become) in good condition, be intact, be in good health, stay well, be successful." And Ugaritic šlm meant something like "peace" or "well-being."
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy