The Hebrew verbal BINYANIM in their random diversity

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

The Hebrew verbal BINYANIM in their random diversity

Post by Isaac Fried »

Consider the Niphal in Ps. 141:6
נִשְׁמְטוּ בִידֵי סֶלַע שֹׁפְטֵיהֶם
NIV: "Their rulers will be thrown down from the cliffs"
ASV: "heir judges are thrown down by the sides of the rock"

Also the Niphal in Nehemiah 13:6
כִּי בִּשְׁנַת שְׁלֹשִׁים וּשְׁתַּיִם לְאַרְתַּחְשַׁסְתְּא מֶלֶךְ בָּבֶל בָּאתִי אֶל הַמֶּלֶךְ וּלְקֵץ יָמִים נִשְׁאַלְתִּי מִן הַמֶּלֶךְ
ASV: "But in all this time I was not at Jerusalem; for in the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes king of Babylon I went unto the king: and after certain days asked I leave of the king"
NIV: "But while all this was going on, I was not in Jerusalem, for in the thirty-second year of Artaxerxes king of Babylon I had returned to the king. Some time later I asked his permission and came back to Jerusalem."

Some latter-day examples, Huphalu and Pualu:
המים הוּרתחוּ, 'the water was boiled', הצנוֹרוֹת רוּתכוּ, 'the pipes were welded'.
החשבוֹנוֹת שׁוּלמוּ, 'the bills were paid', המטלוֹת הוּשלמוּ, the chores were accomplished'.
האנשים שוּלחוּ, 'the people were sent away', החפצים הוּשלכוּ, 'the things were cast away'.
הסמארטפוֹנים תוּקנוּ, 'the smartphones were repaired', השבבים הוּתקנוּ, 'the chips were installed'.
העוֹבדים קוּדמוּ, 'the workers were promoted', השעוֹנים הוּקדמוּ, 'the clocks were set forward'.
התנאים פוֹרטוּ, 'the conditions were detailed', המפעלים הוּפרטוּ, 'the factories were privatized'.
החיילים נפקדוּ, 'the soldiers absented themselves', הכספים הוּפקדוּ, 'the money was deposited'.
התלמידים כּוּנסוּ, 'the students were assembled', האוֹרחים הוּכנסוּ, 'the guests were brought in'.

הרצים כשלוּ, 'the runners stumbled', התלמידים נכשלוּ, the student failed'. There is no הִתְכַּשלוּ nor כֻּשְלוּ, nor כִּשְלוּ.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Isaac Fried

Re: The Hebrew verbal BINYANIM in their random diversity

Post by Isaac Fried »

Here two more Niphal and Piel examples:
Prov. 22:2
עָשִׁיר וָרָשׁ נִפְגָּשׁוּ עֹשֵׂה כֻלָּם יהוה
KJV: "The rich and poor meet together: the Lord is the maker of them all."
Job 5:14
יוֹמָם יְפַגְּשׁוּ חֹשֶׁךְ וְכַלַּיְלָה יְמַשְׁשׁוּ בַצָּהֳרָיִם
KJV: "They meet with darkness in the day time, and grope in the noonday as in the night."

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Here are two more Niphal examples

(1) Lamentations 5:5
עַל צַוָּארֵנוּ נִרְדָּפְנוּ יָגַעְנוּ וְלֹא הוּנַח-לָנוּ
ASV: "Our pursuers are upon our necks"
נִרְדָּפְנוּ = אני-רדף-אנוּ

(2) 1Kings 22:46(45)
וְיֶתֶר דִּבְרֵי יְהוֹשָׁפָט וּגְבוּרָתוֹ אֲשֶׁר עָשָׂה וַאֲשֶׁר נִלְחָם
NIV: "As for the other events of Jehoshaphat’s reign, the things he achieved and his military exploits"
נִלְחָם = אני-לחם

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

I looked up Gen.3:23
לַעֲבֹד אֶת הָאֲדָמָה אֲשֶׁר לֻקַּח מִשָּׁם
NIV: "to work the ground from which he had been taken"
and I see that it is the Pual לֻקַּח = ל-הוּא-קח and not the Niphal נלקח = אני-לקח.

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

I recall Rashi saying on יָלַד of Gen. 4:18
וְעִירָד יָלַד אֶת מְחוּיָאֵל
KJV: "and Irad begat Mehujael"

וְעִירָד יָלַד – יֵשׁ מָקוֹם שֶׁהוּא אוֹמֵר בְּזָכָר "הוֹלִיד", וְיֵשׁ מָקוֹם שֶׁהוּא אוֹמֵר "יָלַד". שֶׁהַלֵּדָה מְשַׁמֶּשֶׁת שְׁתֵּי לְשׁוֹנוֹת: לֵידַת הָאִשָּׁה ניישטר"א neistre = להיוולד (גם ללדת). בְּלַעַ"ז, וּזְרִיעַת תּוֹלְדוֹת הָאִישׁ איניינדרי"ר enjendrer = להוליד.
הערה: הלע"ז מופיע פעמיים בפסקה. בְּלַעַ"ז. כְּשֶׁהוּא אוֹמֵר "הוֹלִיד" בִּלְשׁוֹן הִפְעִיל, מְדַבֵּר בְּלֵידַת הָאִשָּׁה: "פְּלוֹנִי הוֹלִיד אֶת אִשְׁתּוֹ בֵּן אוֹ בַּת". כְּשֶׁהוּא אוֹמֵר "יָלַד" מְדַבֵּר בִּזְרִיעַת הָאִישׁ.

We add that for the inanimate ילד and הוליד seem to be used interchangeably, for instance Job 38:28-29
הֲיֵשׁ-לַמָּטָר אָב אוֹ מִי-הוֹלִיד אֶגְלֵי טָל
מִבֶּטֶן מִי יָצָא הַקָּרַח וּכְפֹר שָׁמַיִם מִי יְלָדוֹ

KJV: "Hath the rain a father? or who hath begotten the drops of dew? Out of whose womb came the ice? and the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?"

Post by Isaac Fried »

There is even a Hithpael to the root ילד, here in Nu. 1:18
וְאֵת כָּל הָעֵדָה הִקְהִילוּ בְּאֶחָד לַחֹדֶשׁ הַשֵּׁנִי וַיִּתְיַלְדוּ עַל מִשְׁפְּחֹתָם לְבֵית אֲבֹתָם בְּמִסְפַּר שֵׁמוֹת מִבֶּן עֶשְׂרִים שָׁנָה וָמַעְלָה לְגֻלְגְּלֹתָם
NIV: " and they called the whole community together on the first day of the second month. The people registered their ancestry by their clans and families, and the men twenty years old or more were listed by name, one by one."