1 Kings 19, 12

The main place for discussion the Hebrew Bible, its language and message.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jemoh66

Re: 1 Kings 19, 12

Postby Jemoh66 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:39 am

Since Simon and Garfunkel weren't around back then, I don't think sound of silence quite does. It seems obvious to me the he heard a "voice" and that it was a whisper of a voice at that. The context is that God has come to speak with his man. So I don't see in this instance that it's a "sound" and certainly not the absurdity of a sound that makes no sound.
Jonathan E Mohler
Studying for a MA in Intercultural Studies
Baptist Bible Theological Seminary

Jason Hare

Postby Jason Hare » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:24 am

Jemoh66 wrote:Since Simon and Garfunkel weren't around back then, I don't think sound of silence quite does. It seems obvious to me the he heard a "voice" and that it was a whisper of a voice at that. The context is that God has come to speak with his man. So I don't see in this instance that it's a "sound" and certainly not the absurdity of a sound that makes no sound.

Yeah, I'm glad that you said it. I don't think that a silent sound makes sense in the context. It's clearly supposed to mean a quiet voice, perhaps a voice that could be easily missed if one isn't paying attention.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel

Isaac Fried

Postby Isaac Fried » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Today I encountered Obadiah 1:16
‎וְשָׁתוּ וְלָעוּ וְהָיוּ כְּלוֹא הָיוּ
NIV: "they will drink and drink and be as if they had never been."
KJV: "yea, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been."

So, will they be something (some-thing), or actually nothing (no-thing)? Is Obadiah telling us that there is an intermediate stage between "to be" and "not to be", namely "to be a nothing"?

Isaac Fried, Boston University

Return to “General Discussion”