chapter divisions of WLC and BHS

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
ralph

chapter divisions of WLC and BHS

Post by ralph »

Hi

Any idea why the BHS chose the chapter divisions of the 1525 Bomberg bible, with Joel having 4 chapters and Malachi having 3 chapters?

And did the WLC choose those chapter divisions because the BHS has those chapter divisions?

Thanks

Ralph Zak
Ralph Zak
Jemoh66

Re: chapter divisions of WLC and BHS

Post by Jemoh66 »

https://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com/ ... nd-malachi

There's a nice discussion at this URL.
Jonathan E Mohler
Studying for a MA in Intercultural Studies
Baptist Bible Theological Seminary
ralph

Post by ralph »

@Jemoh i'm very familiar with that link but it does not either of my questions. For example that link states that the BHS got its chapter divisions from the 1525 bomberg, and it states the 1525 bomberg's source for those divisions.

But that doesn't address my question of why the BHS chose to use the divisions that the 1525 bomberg used.

And it doesn't address my other question either of whether the WLC chose those divisions because the BHS used them.

Ralph Zak
Ralph Zak
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

I can answer about the WLC, having maintained that text for the past 20 years. ;-)

Originally, WLC started with the BHS text. But in 1998 we began to conform the text to the Leningrad Codex, since we now had a photo facsimile of L. I've never done a comparison to the Bomberg text, but L is our manuscript authority for the WLC. The BHQ also has the same goal: a representation of L as best as they can.

I can only speculate on the BHS editors' choices.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
ralph

Post by ralph »

Thanks Kirk, I thought so re WLC's chapter divisions.

A theory with the BHS is perhaps the 1525 Bomberg was so widespread that the chapter divisions it used were seen as the chapter divisions of the hebrew bible.. over the years, in synagogues they also had those divisions inherited from the choice made for the 1525 Bomberg. And so BHS adopted those as they were seen as the chapter divisions for the hebrew bible!
Ralph Zak