Jeremiah 50:5

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
ronsnider1

Jeremiah 50:5

Post by ronsnider1 »

The text...צִיּ֣וֹן יִשְׁאָ֔לוּ דֶּ֖רֶךְ הֵ֣נָּה פְנֵיהֶ֑ם בֹּ֚אוּ וְנִלְו֣וּ אֶל־יְהוָ֔ה בְּרִ֥ית עוֹלָ֖ם לֹ֥א תִשָּׁכֵֽחַ

The portion I am interested in is the imperative of the verb Bo' followed by the waw consecutive and the perfect of the verb lawah. Is this not unusual to have a 2nd person imperative followed by a third person narrative? I know that the editors want to emend the text but I prefer to accept the Masoretic Text unless there is some overriding reason not to do so.

I have Bibleworks 8 and have not figured out how to do a search that would find any other usages like this, so if you have BW and know how to construct the search, that would be helpful.
Regards,

Ron Snider
Pastor-teacher
kwrandolph

Re: Jeremiah 50:5

Post by kwrandolph »

ronsnider1 wrote:The text...צִיּ֣וֹן יִשְׁאָ֔לוּ דֶּ֖רֶךְ הֵ֣נָּה פְנֵיהֶ֑ם בֹּ֚אוּ וְנִלְו֣וּ אֶל־יְהוָ֔ה בְּרִ֥ית עוֹלָ֖ם לֹ֥א תִשָּׁכֵֽחַ

The portion I am interested in is the imperative of the verb Bo' followed by the waw consecutive and the perfect of the verb lawah. Is this not unusual to have a 2nd person imperative followed by a third person narrative? … I prefer to accept the Masoretic Text unless there is some overriding reason not to do so.
Dear Ron:

If this is what the Masoretic points indicate, then they’re wrong. Just one of many places where the Masoretic points are wrong as far as meaning is concerned.

The context is that בֹּ֚אוּ is a third person masculine plural Qatal verb followed by another third person masculine plural Qatal verb following the waw.

I stopped using the Masoretic points years ago because I found too many places where they are demonstrably wrong. But I’m very wary about emending the consonantal text, and that includes the Masoretic emendations.

I don’t have BibleWorks, so I can’t help you on that part of your question.

Just my 2¢.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jemoh66

Post by Jemoh66 »

It's a common thing in BH to have a wekatal follow just about any verb form. The wekatal takes on the features of the first verb. So following an imperative wenilwu is basically an imperative. So no there's no need to find another reason to benigger the pointing.
Jonathan E Mohler
Studying for a MA in Intercultural Studies
Baptist Bible Theological Seminary
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

צִיּוֹן יִשְׁאָלוּ, דֶּרֶךְ הֵנָּה פְנֵיהֶם; בֹּאוּ וְנִלְווּ אֶל-יְהוָה, בְּרִית עוֹלָם לֹא תִשָּׁכֵחַ
"Zion they seek. The way here is their destination.
Come!
And they will adhere to YHWH, an eternal alliance never to end."

Isaac Fried, Boston University
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Ron,
The BibleWorks command to search for all imperative verbs followed immediately by a waw consecutive perfect is:
'*@v?q* ו *@v?v*
You should get 38 verses with 38 hits.

You will not be able to copy and paste the above into BW, but you'll need to type it in yourself. BW will prompt you for the codes, so it is actually intuitive except for maybe the word order. The word order for the Hebrew phrase you are searching for is right to left, but the command is typed left to right.

The way I constructed it is more convoluted, but it may be helpful:
1. Display WTM version in your Browse window

2. Highlight the 3 root words:
בוא‎@vqvmp+SxxxxAxExHxNxxRx
‎וְ‎@Pc+SxxxExHxNxxRx
לוה‎@vnq3cp+SxxxxJxCxAxExHaNxxRx

3. right-mouse -> search for phrase
That should put this in the command box
'בוא ו לוה
And it should find only 1 verse Jer 50:5

4. click just right of the bet and type *@v?v* to match an imperative
BW will prompt you for the codes to pick, so it should be intuitive
Then click just right of the bet again and backspace over the Hebrew letters to match any imperative verb

5. click just right of the lamed and type *@v?q* to match a waw consecutive perfect verb
Click just right of the lamed again and backspace over the Hebrew, but leave the initial single quote mark alone to search for a phrase.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions I'd be glad to help. This search feature of BW is very helpful.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hello

Some read the word באו as a 3rd plural Qatal בָּאוּ (as the Septuagint)
and see the נלוו also as Qatal.

But some keeps it as it and explains the נלוו as a representation of an imperative.
And it is close to Jo. 4:11
עושו ובאו כל הגוים מסביב ונקבצו

ונקבצו as a Qatal form to represent the imperative, (which is a common use of a Qatal form to represent a future or demand).

And these forms here comes as a 3rd person form instead of the accepted 2nd person.
ְBut some also explains this form as an archaic form of Niphal imperative.
David Hunter