גאל and געל, Lev. 25-26

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

גאל and געל, Lev. 25-26

Post by Isaac Fried »

Both גאל and געל include the uniliteral root ל L for 'lift, elevate, carry up', but the purpose (purpose!) of the elevation is entirely different in these two acts, and hence the ע for an א.
In chapter 25 we encounter a cluster of געל 'reject, lift and fling away as in disgust and loathing'. See Lev. 26:11
וְנָתַתִּי מִשְׁכָּנִי בְּתוֹכֲכֶם וְלֹא תִגְעַל נַפְשִׁי אֶתְכֶם
NIV: " I will put my dwelling place among you, and I will not abhor you"
In previous chapter 25 we encounter גאל, 'uplift, save, redeem', with but an א for an ע. See Lev. 25:25
כִּי יָמוּךְ אָחִיךָ וּמָכַר מֵאֲחֻזָּתוֹ וּבָא גֹאֲלוֹ הַקָּרֹב אֵלָיו וְגָאַל אֵת מִמְכַּר אָחִיו
NIV: 'If one of your fellow Israelites becomes poor and sells some of their property, their nearest relative is to come and redeem what they have sold."

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Isaac Fried

Re: גאל and געל, Lev. 25-26

Post by Isaac Fried »

Consider also the two ordered rearrangements: עגל, 'arch (up), bend (up), turn, curve', and גלע, 'reveal, show, expose', as in Prov. 17:14
פּוֹטֵר מַיִם רֵאשִׁית מָדוֹן וְלִפְנֵי הִתְגַּלַּע הָרִיב נְטוֹשׁ
NIV: "Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out."
All being variations and extensions of גל GAL, 'rise, mound'.

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Consider further the root אגל, a variant of עגל, 'round, curved, bowed, plump, bulbous', as in אֶגְלֵי טָל, 'drops of dew, pearls of dew', in Job 38:28
הֲיֵשׁ לַמָּטָר אָב אוֹ מִי הוֹלִיד אֶגְלֵי טָל
NIV: "Does the rain have a father?  Who fathers the drops of dew?"

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

An א Aleph for an ע Ayin, and vice versa, may create hebrew roots of no relationship of meaning whatsoever. Consider the acts ראה, 'see', and רעה, 'herd, graze'. Saying that רוֹעֶה, 'shepherd', is the person that רוֹאֶה, 'observes', the herd, is, in my opinion, silliness.

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Consider also עָרוּך, 'set, organized, spread out, arranged, prepared', as characterized by the uniliteral root R embodied in the composite root ערך, referring to an arrangement of spread out material pieces. See Ezekiel 23:41
וְיָשַׁבְתְּ עַל מִטָּה כְבוּדָּה וְשֻׁלְחָן עָרוּךְ לְפָנֶיהָ וּקְטָרְתִּי וְשַׁמְנִי שַׂמְתְּ עָלֶיהָ
NIV: "You sat on an elegant couch, with a table spread before it on which you had placed the incense and olive oil that belonged to me."
KJV: "And satest upon a stately bed, and a table prepared before it, whereupon thou hast set mine incense and mine oil."
Also the corresponding אָרוֹך, 'long', as characterized by the uniliteral root R embodied in the composite root ארך and referring to a sequential arrangement of material bits. See Gen. 13:17
קוּם הִתְהַלֵּךְ בָּאָרֶץ לְאָרְכָּהּ וּלְרָחְבָּהּ כִּי לְךָ אֶתְּנֶנָּה
KJV: "Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee."

Note also the R in וּלְרָחְבָּהּ, 'and in the breadth of it'.