Leningrad Codex as an eBook

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
ducky

Re: Leningrad Codex as an eBook

Post by ducky »

I must say that I checked on some site that its point is to talk about the loyalty of the SP.
And so, it writes a list which counts the cases which the SP and LXX agrees against the MT

And this case of אחר/אחד is not there

So also according to this site - it seems that the SP writes אחר (agrees with the MT since the LXX writes אחד)

So I don't know.
maybe there are more than one version of the SP?
I don't know about the SP at all.

But probably there is something in it - since you showed me places when they write אחר
and my book (and the Hebrew Academy) says אחד

so until someone who is familiar with the study of the SP would show up, we must stay in this position
and anyway, it changes nothing about the main thing of the subject.
David Hunter
Michael W Abernathy

Post by Michael W Abernathy »

I looked this up in The Israelite Samaritan Version of the Torah: First English Translation. It doesn't give the Hebrew and it does not have any commentary on this verse, but it apparently translates both אחר and אחד. It translates this part as, "And behold, behind him one ram caught in the thicket by his horns."
ducky

Post by ducky »

Well, that is interesting.

In their translation, they wrote according to the two versions together, so maybe, in their circle, there is a debate about this word on how it is spelled.
David Hunter
Jemoh66

Post by Jemoh66 »

Reading ’eḥad with many Heb. mss. and ancient versions; text ’aḥar “after.”
The JPS footnote:
Jonathan E Mohler
Studying for a MA in Intercultural Studies
Baptist Bible Theological Seminary
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Chris,

Having the WLC in an e-book format would be great, especially in an epub or pdf, so I could use it offline. The other Hebrew texts I’ve seen in epub didn’t display the Hebrew properly. It just showed garbage characters. Could have been a font issue. I’ve never produced an epub, so I don’t know. As for Kindle, I can use it that way online, but it would be nice to have an additional offline option. I have WLC in my Olive Tree Bible software for Mac and in Eloquent, the successor to MacSword. It would also be nice, though, to have it in a format that works in Apple Books (iBooks on iPad) or in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
ducky

Post by ducky »

Jemoh66 wrote:
Reading ’eḥad with many Heb. mss. and ancient versions; text ’aḥar “after.”
The JPS footnote:
Hi,

This is a general note that its fact is known.
We're talking specifically about the Samaritan text.
David Hunter
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote:Chris,

Having the WLC in an e-book format would be great, especially in an epub or pdf, so I could use it offline. The other Hebrew texts I’ve seen in epub didn’t display the Hebrew properly. It just showed garbage characters. Could have been a font issue. I’ve never produced an epub, so I don’t know. As for Kindle, I can use it that way online, but it would be nice to have an additional offline option. I have WLC in my Olive Tree Bible software for Mac and in Eloquent, the successor to MacSword. It would also be nice, though, to have it in a format that works in Apple Books (iBooks on iPad) or in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Why not use tanach.us?? It has the entire Leningrad Codex in PDF. You search for a passage, then use the LC facsimile link. It's all there.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Schubert

Post by Schubert »

I don't know what this site is, who wrote it, who is the one that stands behind it
And so, it is hard to treat this site as a real loyal source.
especially when I see other claims from other reliable known scholars.

Do you have information about this site and who stands behind it?

David, the STEP Bible project is a product of Tyndale House, Cambridge (UK): https://tyndalehouse.com/bible-tools .

Based on some very minor involvement with it several years ago, my understanding is that a lot of very careful work has gone into the STEP Bible. But if it came down to needing to choose between the STEP Bible and Tov concerning the Samaritan text , I would favour Tov.
John McKinnon
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hi John,
Thanks for the info.

Well, I guess there are a few sources which some wrote אחר and some wrote אחד.

In Tov's book, he writes that for the SP quotes, he uses an edition that is based on a hand script from 1204 (Shekhem).
I guess it is considered loyal or famous or full.

But I guess also, that STEP uses another edition, or maybe a combination of some, and maybe, when they faced two versions, they chose the one that also fits the MT, or for some other reason, as based on a number of versions).

Anyway, a version with אחד is found also in the SP, next to the LXX, and other versions.
and it just points to the fact that this word in this text had two popular versions.
David Hunter