JPS commentary on Psalms 120–150

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
bdenckla

JPS commentary on Psalms 120–150

Post by bdenckla »

The JPS commentary on Psalms 120–150 (Adele Berlin) comes out on Tue Aug 1. I am proud to have helped prepare the Hebrew text for it. Its Hebrew text is an edition of MAM (Miqra according to the Masorah). It is the first use of MAM on paper! I'm excited to answer any questions about MAM or this edition in particular. This edition uses MAM in a few innovative ways, such as the way it treats YHVH.
Ben Denckla
Contributor, MAM & UXLC.
Jason Hare

Re: JPS commentary on Psalms 120–150

Post by Jason Hare »

bdenckla wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:57 am The JPS commentary on Psalms 120–150 (Adele Berlin) comes out on Tue Aug 1. I am proud to have helped prepare the Hebrew text for it. Its Hebrew text is an edition of MAM (Miqra according to the Masorah). It is the first use of MAM on paper! I'm excited to answer any questions about MAM or this edition in particular. This edition uses MAM in a few innovative ways, such as the way it treats YHVH.
Does it use anything other than Codex Leningradensis as its base text? Is it eclectic? Does it replace כתיב with קרי?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
bdenckla

Re: JPS commentary on Psalms 120–150

Post by bdenckla »

Jason Hare wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:47 pm Does [MAM] use anything other than Codex Leningradensis as its base text? Is it eclectic? Does it replace כתיב with קרי?
MAM's primary source is the AC rather than the LC. Even in sections no longer present in the AC, it uses the "method" or "system" of the AC rather than just resorting to the LC. It contains both ketiv and qere, except for about a hundred words, for which the ketiv differs from the qere only trivially. In those trivial cases, it shows only the qere.

Most of MAM's documentation is in Hebrew, but here is a short introduction to MAM, in English.
Ben Denckla
Contributor, MAM & UXLC.