Hebrew resources for biblicalhumanities.org

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jonathan Robie

Hebrew resources for biblicalhumanities.org

Post by Jonathan Robie »

biblicalhumanities.org is working with Bruce Robertson's Rigaudon OCR project and the Perseus project to convert public domain resources for biblical studies. We would like your help to identify resources that are worth converting - quality resources that may not be recent, but are still of significant value. For comparison, see the resources that have been recommended for Greek:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/viewforum.php?f=57

What resources should we have for Hebrew?
Ken M. Penner

Re: Hebrew resources for biblicalhumanities.org

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Public domain texts:
A Hebrew Bible. Check with Kirk Lowery on this.
A lexicon: Brown-Driver-Briggs
A reference grammar: Gesenius-Kautzsch-Cowley
A commentary set: Keil & Delitzsch
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I'm guessing the Westminster Leningrad Codex is the Hebrew text to use? Are there reasons to consider another?

I found scans of the others. Keil & Delitsch is a black/white Google scan, Bruce does better with color scans, I couldn't find one. Keil & Delitsch seems also to be available as a free package in some public domain software, maybe it can be chased down. Anyone know who did that conversion, or how good it is?

We have volunteers interested in working on BDB, there's a version that's partly done on openscriptures.org and we're starting to train the OCR reader for this.
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Unlike the situation with the New Testament, we don't have thousands of high quality, contemporary manuscript witnesses to the text. We've got the LXX (in Greek), the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Aleppo Codex, and the Leningrad Codex. The Leningrad is complete, and while some argue that the Aleppo is a better representative of the ben Asher text, it unfortunately is partially destroyed. The DDS are unpointed. So that leaves us with the Leningrad, which is why it was chosen for the standard scholarly printed editions and why we at the Groves Center chose it to be the basis for all our work in electronic form.

It is available freely and we continue to update it with annual releases. You can always get the latest version at Tanakh.us.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Another good resource to add might be a Hebrew concordance, and it would be great to have Hatch and Redpath's concordance of the LXX complete. The pdfs online only cover the supplement volume, apparently, not the whole work.

Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

I don't have Mandelkern's concordance. That would be the one to scan. Should I scan my copy of Hatch & Redpath to archive.org?
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Ken M. Penner wrote:Public domain texts:
I checked Crosswire where they have a few Hebrew Bibles, BDB glosses, and apparently a complete Keil & Delitzsch.

These are designed to work in their Sword project software, which is a free download, I don’t know if it can be used elsewhere.

Karl W. Randolph.