Where to publish?

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
kwrandolph

Where to publish?

Post by kwrandolph »

Is there any journal that accepts papers from people not affiliated with any academic institution?

Secondly, are they on line only, on line and in print, or in print only?

Karl W. Randolph.
Ken M. Penner

Re: Where to publish?

Post by Ken M. Penner »

I can't think of any journals that require institutional affiliation. (Though some might require a terminal degree.) I've just recently joined the board of the Journal of Biblical Literature, and we accept papers from people not affiliated with an academic institution. But I'd try somewhere else for your first article. JBL's rejection rate is quite high.
For a description of JBL's practice a decade ago, see http://www.sbl-site.org/publications/ar ... icleId=270
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

I have no intention of publishing, but out of curiosity, do writers of articles pay journals to publish their papers or the other way round?
Stephen Hughes BA (Greek), BTh, MA (Egyptology)
וַאֲהַבְתֶּ֖ם אֶת־הַגֵּ֑ר כִּֽי־גֵרִ֥ים הֱיִיתֶ֖ם בְּאֶ֥רֶץ מִצְרָֽיִם׃ (Deut. 10:19)
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Thanks, Ken:
Ken M. Penner wrote:I can't think of any journals that require institutional affiliation. (Though some might require a terminal degree.) I've just recently joined the board of the Journal of Biblical Literature, and we accept papers from people not affiliated with an academic institution. But I'd try somewhere else for your first article. JBL's rejection rate is quite high.
For a description of JBL's practice a decade ago, see http://www.sbl-site.org/publications/ar ... icleId=270
The last I checked, JBL accepts papers from only members of SBL, membership costing $100s a year last time I checked. That means I would have to pay even to be considered for my papers to get rejected. I don’t have that sort of gelt.

Does anyone have experience with academia.edu online publishing?

Karl W. Randolph.
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

kwrandolph wrote:Does anyone have experience with academia.edu online publishing?
I put a lot of my work on academia.edu
See https://stfx.academia.edu/KenPenner
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Stephen Hughes wrote:I have no intention of publishing, but out of curiosity, do writers of articles pay journals to publish their papers or the other way round?
Normally there's no payment either way.
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.