Codex Leningradensis on display in St P's library?

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Nick Laurence

Codex Leningradensis on display in St P's library?

Post by Nick Laurence »

A group of friends (who have no interest in the Hebrew bible) are planning a visit to St Petersburg and I'm considering going with them. However, one of my considerations is, will I be able to see Codex Leningradensis (under whatever name is currently used) at the National Library? I.e. Is it actually on display? Their website says they have it there, but doesn't state if it is actually on display or hidden away in archives. Does anyone here know? I don't want to go all that way only to end up not seeing it.

Thanks
Nick Laurence

Re: Codex Leningradensis on display in St P's library?

Post by Nick Laurence »

Having completed the trip to St Petersburg I thought I'd answer my own question - in case others are interested.

Codex Leningradensis is not on display. I had contacted the National Library before the trip, and they said they would show me a facsimile edition. This turns out to be the published Brill edition. Although anyone can gain access to the library (upon presentation of a passport), it's quite a tricky exercise of form filling in Russian and enquiries made of staff who only speak Russian. Arriving in the reading room to be presented with the Brill edition was thus rather frustrating after all the effort.

The staff are nice, and told us (in Russian) how to make representation to senior staff, but even after that the decision did not change. Luckily my wife learnt Russian at school, although vocabulary about seeing Codex Leningradensis was rather hard for her! Anyone without Russian would not be able to proceed very far here.