Hebraisti in Ancient Texts: Does ἑβραϊστί Ever Mean 'Aramaic

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Ben Putnam

Hebraisti in Ancient Texts: Does ἑβραϊστί Ever Mean 'Aramaic

Post by Ben Putnam »

"Hebraisti in Ancient Texts: Does ἑβραϊστί Ever Mean 'Aramaic'?"
By Randall Buth and Chad Pierce

See link below.

http://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com/hebraisti/
Ben Putnam
kwrandolph

Re: Hebraisti in Ancient Texts: Does ἑβραϊστί Ever Mean 'Ara

Post by kwrandolph »

Ben:

While I cannot comment on the use of εβραιστι in other Greek writings, I can comment on its use in the New Testament.

First a bit of background—New Testament period Judea was quadralingual: Aramaic and Greek on the streets and in the homes, Hebrew used in the same manner as medieval Latin, and Latin.

In the New Testament, we find it used to refer to names. Location names. This is understandable, as many of the locations had names that went back to when Hebrew was spoken, and other places had Hebrew names assigned to them for official documents. Secondly it’s used for official documents, most notably the accusation Pilate had placed over Jesus’ at the crucifixion. Only once was it used for someone speaking, and that was when Paul spoke before a crowd to command their attention.

Conclusion: when the Hebrew language was referenced in the New Testament, it refers to the Hebrew language, not Aramaic. I cannot vouch for other Greek writers.

Karl W. Randolph.