Biblical Language Center

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Ben Putnam

Biblical Language Center

Post by Ben Putnam »

Biblical Language Center
Learn Easily • Progress Further • Remember for Life

See link below.

http://www.biblicallanguagecenter.com
Ben Putnam
kwrandolph

Re: Biblical Language Center

Post by kwrandolph »

Ben:

This is your second posting advertising this site.

While his teaching methods are sound, is he teaching Biblical Hebrew? As far as I can tell, he isn’t. He teaches what sounds to me like modern Hebrew, but I don’t know modern Hebrew so I can’t tell for certain what it is. All I know for certain is that it isn’t Biblical Hebrew.

Unfortunately, I know of no shortcut to learning Biblical Hebrew other than immersing oneself in the text of Tanakh, and reading it over and over again. So I encourage you, open that tome and start reading.

Karl W. Randolph.
Ben Putnam

Post by Ben Putnam »

Hi Karl,

Yes, the BLC teaches biblical Hebrew and not modern Hebrew. I am internalizing both, and I can tell you firsthand that it is not modern. It is biblical. I think you would benefit from purchasing a copy of books ב and ג to see for yourself. You will find them on the Products page. There are benefits to learning this way, and it goes without saying that listening to and reading the tana"x is a vital part of the process, as you will see the BLC also emphasizes.

braxot
Ben Putnam
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Ben Putnam wrote:Hi Karl,

Yes, the BLC teaches biblical Hebrew and not modern Hebrew. I am internalizing both, and I can tell you firsthand that it is not modern. It is biblical.
I’ve looked at the school’s website, and from the examples open to the public, this is what I can tell about the teaching:

1) The pronunciation is medieval at the earliest.

2) The grammar is NOT Biblical. As in #1 above, is it medieval? Or Mishnaic? But Biblical it is not.

Just because it’s not modern Israeli doesn’t make it Biblical.
Ben Putnam wrote: I think you would benefit from purchasing a copy of books ב and ג to see for yourself. You will find them on the Products page.
What do those books show beyond what is on their web site?
Ben Putnam wrote: There are benefits to learning this way,
The teaching method is not the question. I learned my first two foreign languages in a very similar manner. It’s the content of what’s being taught to which I object as being falsely presented.
Ben Putnam wrote: and it goes without saying that listening to and reading the tana"x is a vital part of the process, as you will see the BLC also emphasizes.

braxot
In both the DSS and Mishna we find quotes from Tanakh, yet when those writers wrote in their own words, they wrote in a manner recognizably different from Biblical Hebrew. I wouldn’t be surprised if the same pattern is happening here.

Karl W. Randolph.
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

כתב כרל
) The grammar is NOT Biblical. As in #1 above, is it medieval? Or Mishnaic? But Biblical it is not.
Could you give us some examples, Karl?

דּוּאֵין דּוּלֵינִי
Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים