which guides/publications should I learn next?

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Yuanic

which guides/publications should I learn next?

Post by Yuanic »

Hi. I have learnt biblical hebrew for about 6 months. I have ended reading T.Lambdin's book "Introduction to biblical hebrew" and a few days ago I tried to read Genesis (I've done chapters 1-11) but I'm not confident that it's good idea to start read hebrew Bible so fast. Should I read more guides/books/publications etc. or should I learn vocabulary and KEEP reading in original language?

PS. sorry for my poor knowledge of English
Jacek (Jack) Jan (John) Jozue (Joshua) Kurdziel,
Poland
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: which guides/publications should I learn next?

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Welcome to B-Hebrew, Yuanic!

Just a note to let you know that it is forum policy to sign all posts with your full name. You can do this automatically by going to the "User Control Panel", and putting your name in the "Signature". You can put other information there (see my signature below), but your name is the only thing required.

Thanks!

There are many ways to improve your reading skills in Hebrew. Just a suggestion: narrative (stories) are generally easier than poetry. Some of the most difficult Hebrew is found in books like Job or Isaiah (mainly vocabulary). And in my opinion, it is very good to jump into reading the text right away. Genesis is good, so is a book like the Prophet Jonah.

Best wishes,

Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Yuanic

Post by Yuanic »

Can you advise me which books haven't too wide range of vocabulary?
Jacek (Jack) Jan (John) Jozue (Joshua) Kurdziel,
Poland
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Yuanic wrote: I have ended reading T.Lambdin's book "Introduction to biblical Hebrew"...which guides/publications should I learn next?
Lambdin gives you all the "guidance" (meta-language/grammar) that you need. Avoid the publications; take up the Hebrew Bible and read.
Can you advise me which books haven't too wide range of vocabulary?
Genesis 12, Deuteronomy 5 and 6. Jonah 1, 3 and 4. Genesis 22 is both easy and brilliantly written. You might also look at the various Hebrew translations of Mark and John.
...sorry for my poor knowledge of English
Your English is better than my Hebrew. :)
Mark Lightman