1 Sam 3:21 and לְהֵרָאֹה

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Glenn Dean

1 Sam 3:21 and לְהֵרָאֹה

Post by Glenn Dean »

Hi:

I completely missed the word לְהֵרָאֹה - I thought it was Hiphil inf. construct but it is niphal.

I've reviewed why it's niphal, but what I'm stuck on is the ending - as this is a III-Hey verb, I would of thought the inf. construct would be

לְהֵרָאֹת or לְהֵרָאוֹת

what is happening in this word?

Glenn
Jason Hare

Re: 1 Sam 3:21 and לְהֵרָאֹה

Post by Jason Hare »

Davidson says that הֵרָאֹה is infinitive absolute that is being used as infinitive construct. Normally, the infinitive absolute is not prefixed with the lamed, but sometimes it acts oddly. In Nehemiah, we found a few instances in which it was behaving like a perfect. Brought that up here on the forum, too, about two months ago (I think).
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

There's a comment in Henry Smith's commentary, and references to Gesenius and Stade's grammar:

https://archive.org/details/criticalsam ... 3/mode/2up

Says the same form is used as an infinitive construct also in Judges 13:21. Gesenius 1910 §75n for comment and §75y for reference to these two occurrences.
Andrew Chapman
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote:Davidson says that הֵרָאֹה is infinitive absolute that is being used as infinitive construct. Normally, the infinitive absolute is not prefixed with the lamed, but sometimes it acts oddly. In Nehemiah, we found a few instances in which it was behaving like a perfect. Brought that up here on the forum, too, about two months ago (I think).
My textbook (Practico & Pelt) lists the two forms of the Niphal Inf. Abs as נִבְנֹה and הִבָּנֵה (for the verb 'banah' = to build), so is it possible that when you prefix a lamed to either of these forms you get what's in 1 Sam 3:21 ???

Glenn
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

thanxs Andrew for the link!

Glenn
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Get rid of those pesky dots and squiggles, then the consonantal text could have להראה be a Hophal infinitive.

Hophal is a funny binyam. It is used in three contexts:

• active causal, passive verb
• passive causal, active verb
• passive causal, passive verb

Only in the third case is it a true passive. The other two cases it is more of a middle, with both active and passive voices. I suspect that because it’s used as a middle voice, that it’s so often mispointed, often as a Hiphil, other times as other binyamim.

Accordingly, I read this usage as a Hophal infinitive, as indicated by the consonantal text.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote:Get rid of those pesky dots and squiggles, then the consonantal text could have להראה be a Hophal infinitive.

Hophal is a funny binyam. It is used in three contexts:

• active causal, passive verb
• passive causal, active verb
• passive causal, passive verb

Only in the third case is it a true passive. The other two cases it is more of a middle, with both active and passive voices. I suspect that because it’s used as a middle voice, that it’s so often mispointed, often as a Hiphil, other times as other binyamim.

Accordingly, I read this usage as a Hophal infinitive, as indicated by the consonantal text.

Karl W. Randolph.
If it were anyone else, I would ask them to point להראה as a hophal infinitive to show us how they thought it should be pronounced. It is a feature of infinitive constructs on third-heh roots that the heh drops and becomes ות in the infinitive. I don't recall ever having seen רא״ה or any other third-heh root as a hophal infinitive. I don't know what the pattern would need to be for this to be true. I don't know how you're suggesting that we pronounce this on your proposal, which makes the proposal less than useful. Pealim.com doesn't list a hophal infinitive, and while the Hebrew Language Academy shows the infinitive for the hiphil of this root, it doesn't provide an infinitive for the hophal of the same root.

I've never seen such a thing, and I don't know how the hophal of רא״ה would be pronounced or even if such a form exists. I really don't think that hophal takes an infinitive construct at all, so I don't know how the consonantal text can be said to indicate that it should be read this way.

It's pointed in the text as a niphal.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳