Question on 1 Sam 4:9

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Glenn Dean

Question on 1 Sam 4:9

Post by Glenn Dean »

Hi:

I had trouble on the word תַּעַבְדוּ - I thought it was Hiphil but it is Qal imperfect 2mp. "IF" the verb "to work, serve" was a strong verb, the vowel pattern would be תִּעְבְדוּ - I was hoping someone could explain how we "go" from the strong case to the case we see in 4:9 (for example, how do we end up with תַּ )

Thanxs!

Glenn
Jason Hare

Re: Question on 1 Sam 4:9

Post by Jason Hare »

Gutturals prefer patach, not chirik.

So:
תַּחְשֹׁב (or תַּחֲשֹׁב) and not *תִּחְשֹׁב
תַּעֲשֶׂה and not *תִּעְשֶׂה

See Gesenius §63 starting on this page.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

thanxs Jason for the info!

If I could piggy-back another question, at the tail-end of the verse it hints that the Hebrews were servants to the Philistines (at some earlier time). Would anyone know when they were servants to the Philistines??? (If it did happen, it doesn't appear to have been mentioned in 1 Samuel chapters 1 thru 3 nor in 4:1-8)

Glenn
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I don't know if there's any way to confirm something like that. If I were to venture a guess, it would be as part of the subjugations that the people suffered during the time of the Judges.

For instance, Judges 10:7:
וַיִּֽחַר־אַ֥ף יַהְוֶ֖ה בְּיִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל וַֽיִּמְכְּרֵם֙ בְּיַד־פְּלִשְׁתִּ֔ים וּבְיַ֖ד בְּנֵ֥י עַמּֽוֹן׃
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

awesome find Jason!! I had to look up a list of the judges and it indicated Tola (from v1) and Jair (from v3) were some 100 years before Samuel and after Jair Yahweh sold Israel to the Philistines).

Thanxs for finding those verses!

Glenn
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

The final time Israel was under the Philistine thumb is listed in Judges 13:1 and 14:4, a rule at least tenuously held until King David once and for all defeated the Philistines. This is why in Judges 13:5 it is written that Samson would begin to free Israel from the Philistines.

Karl W. Randolph.