Help me translate 1 Kings 19:2

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Glenn Dean

Re: Help me translate 1 Kings 19:2

Post by Glenn Dean »

I totally misunderstood. OK, now that I understand, that is something I might try in the future.

Glenn
Jemoh66

Post by Jemoh66 »

That’s exactly what I did, although I listened to Shmuelof before taking Hebrew in seminary. I listened to Shmuelof until I could recite Chapter 1 of Genesis.
Jonathan E Mohler
Studying for a MA in Intercultural Studies
Baptist Bible Theological Seminary
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jemoh66 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:01 pm That’s exactly what I did, although I listened to Shmuelof before taking Hebrew in seminary. I listened to Shmuelof until I could recite Chapter 1 of Genesis.
From memory without being able to read the Hebrew alphabet?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jemoh66

Post by Jemoh66 »

I was teaching myself the alefbet around the time I came across Shmuelof. Actually comes to think of it, my brother recommended the site to me.
Jonathan E Mohler
Jemoh66

Post by Jemoh66 »

Jason Hare wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:50 pm
Jemoh66 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:01 pm That’s exactly what I did, although I listened to Shmuelof before taking Hebrew in seminary. I listened to Shmuelof until I could recite Chapter 1 of Genesis.
From memory without being able to read the Hebrew alphabet?
I was teaching myself the alefbet around the time I came across Shmuelof. Actually comes to think of it, my brother recommended the site to me.
Jonathan E Mohler
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jemoh66 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:33 am I was teaching myself the alefbet around the time I came across Shmuelof. Actually comes to think of it, my brother recommended the site to me.
When I was younger, I used bible.ort.org for the same purposes, to commit text to memory through chanting along with the reader. I've recommended Shmuelof again and again. His recordings are generally clear and reliable. I've only run across a few fumbles. It's much better than the production by the Bible Society in Israel, which often places the stress on the wrong part of vav-consecutives and mispronounces kamats katan (because of the misplacement of the stress). Shmuelof really had it together.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ralph

Post by ralph »

Jason Hare wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:23 pm I recall when I was studying Hebrew in college.......when I started attending a synagogue regularly
i'm confused.. you went to a Christian College, and regularly to a Synagogue?
Ralph Zak
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

ralph wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:15 am
Jason Hare wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:23 pm I recall when I was studying Hebrew in college.......when I started attending a synagogue regularly
i'm confused.. you went to a Christian College, and regularly to a Synagogue?
I was raised Christian (Baptist → Pentecostal → Christian Church) and joined both B-Greek and B-Hebrew as listservs when I was a sophomore in Bible college. I converted to Judaism in 2003, went to Israel the first time in 2004, visited again in 2006, and made aliyah (immigration) in 2007. I've lived in Israel since then. I've been a member of two synagogues (one in Missouri, where I'm originally from; and one in Rehovot, where I lived after I made aliyah). The first was a Reform synagogue, and the second was Conservative (Masorti). I've attended regular services in Manhattan (Temple Israel near 75th and Lexington) and in Rehovot (at an orthodox shul called Berman). I have visited all kinds of synagogues, from a Greek one in Tel Aviv to a Moraccan one in Rishon LeZion (Ramat Eliyahu neighborhood). I have spoken as a representative of Israel and of El Al Israel Airlines in synagogues in Rome, Madrid, London, and New Jersey. I left Bible college (and the faith of my youth) in 2001 in my third year of studies.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Jason and Jonathan, have either of you used the Hebrew Bible audio (or video with audio) from the Biblia Mirecurensia project?
(http://biblia-mirecurensia.com/en/) If so, do you think it is better than Shmuelof's renditions? While I like his, I find the BM one to be more emotive and engaging to listen to. The one by Shmuelof tends toward being a montone after a while--at least, to me. I wish that my Hebrew teacher had used audio when he taught us. We did do some reading aloud, under his guidance, but it was awkward and slow going. Unfortunately, that was only during the reading courses that followed the basic grammar course. I'm better at reading aloud and listening with comprehension than I was then (back in the early 1990's), but that came after much work on my own. But, to each his own. The worst one I've heard was a cassette that came with Mansoor's vol. 2 of some readings from Genesis. The reader clearly pitched the accent toward American English and it was not at all a fluid reading. I gave it a couple of attempts and couldn't listen any more. I think Shmuelof was the next resource I found, tho several years later. Much better.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:24 pm Jason and Jonathan, have either of you used the Hebrew Bible audio (or video with audio) from the Biblia Mirecurensia project?
(http://biblia-mirecurensia.com/en/) If so, do you think it is better than Shmuelof's renditions? While I like his, I find the BM one to be more emotive and engaging to listen to. The one by Shmuelof tends toward being a montone after a while--at least, to me. I wish that my Hebrew teacher had used audio when he taught us. We did do some reading aloud, under his guidance, but it was awkward and slow going. Unfortunately, that was only during the reading courses that followed the basic grammar course. I'm better at reading aloud and listening with comprehension than I was then (back in the early 1990's), but that came after much work on my own. But, to each his own. The worst one I've heard was a cassette that came with Mansoor's vol. 2 of some readings from Genesis. The reader clearly pitched the accent toward American English and it was not at all a fluid reading. I gave it a couple of attempts and couldn't listen any more. I think Shmuelof was the next resource I found, tho several years later. Much better.
I hadn't heard of that recording. I went to the site to look at it, and it's problematic that you have to actually download so much to get the contents. It should be streamable from the site (especially with the implementation of HTML5!).

That said, I tend to listen to the audio of bible.is, which has a dramatized version for both Tanach and the New Testament in Hebrew. The recording of Genesis starts here. The problem with this recording is that the main reader makes a lot of mistakes in word stress with vav-consecutives. He doesn't pay attention to where the stress is marked, which irritates me. Apart from that, I think this is some great reading.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳