The Kaph in Isa 18:4

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Chris Watts

Re: The Kaph in Isa 18:4

Post by Chris Watts »

ducky wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:14 am Hi Jason, Thanks

The word חם in כחום היום is infinitive.

I would like to read the argument that reads this verse with the meaning of "K=during".
Maybe it would change my view on that.
Hallo David I have linked to two books: The first one is by Franz Delitzsch from 1892. It is Page 355 on the actual book but page 375 in the Digital Viewer His comment about
during' you will read bottom of left hand page here: https://archive.org/details/biblicalcom ... 4/mode/2up

The second book just thought I would throw it in you might be interested is: Albert Barnes from 1840. Page 26 actual page in book but 36 in the digital viiewer. https://archive.org/details/notescritic ... 5/mode/2up

Chris watts
ducky

Re: The Kaph in Isa 18:4

Post by ducky »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link.

Well, first, he uses the word "while"
(and that is not like "during")
And I wrote before that the "as" (just like English) can be in the meaning of "when/while"

But still, I don't really sure about his explanation.

Basically, the K prefix would act in the meaning of "while" is when it is next to an infinitive.
So I don't see it fit so much.

Actually, in my dictionary, in the Entry of root חמם, it writes a few cases of this root infinitive. It also writes the word חם in this verse, and writes that it is "probably also an infinitive".
I don't know about that, but I'll search for this opinion on the weekend (maybe).

Anyway, even if it is (and I'm not sure about that), It would still be a little hard for me to read it as "while" (because of the rest of the words and its style) - it doesn't seem to me as written for that matter.

But I'll try t search for articles that would explain it that way. (I hope this weekend).
David Hunter