Isa 18:4 I will take my rest

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
ducky

Re: Isa 18:4 I will take my rest

Post by ducky »

Hi Jason,

Great thorough explanation, and very clear.

But I saw that you wrote two examples of אעברה as if they don't fit.
But the examples you gave were indeed fitting.
אעברה with a Holam in pause (that's ok)
and אעברה with a Mobile-Sheva in the second letter of the root - not in pause (that's ok too).
(Or maybe you didn't write that as an example of an exception and I am just confusing myself).
David Hunter
Chris Watts

Re: Isa 18:4 I will take my rest

Post by Chris Watts »

Hallo David and Jason,

David, Ok no, you probably did not miss a thing, but forgive me, your answer was far too short fro me to make head or tail of it I am sorry. However I do appreciate your next answer and it began to clear things up a bit. So reading through your post a few times helped. Thanks.

Jason, I want to thank you for your exhaustive explanations, you have clarified more than you know, some vague issues for me. Thanks Jason. Aslo when you wrote this: "......Therefore, the author wrote it with a vav (to indicate the /o/ vowel), but the Masoretes indicated that the vowel should have been reduced. However, they kept the /o/ sound by using the reduced /o/ vowel (chataf-kamats)...." Sorry to say this, but reading all the grammatical terminologies and intricate explanations in my grammar books and so on - cumbersome and mentally draining sometimes, yet what you wrote here makes so much more sense and is the kind of pracical understanding that is so logical to digest.

Chris watts