Jer. 12:9 question on a collective noun

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Chris Watts

Re: Jer. 12:9 question on a collective noun

Post by Chris Watts »

Jason Hare wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:59 am Mechon-mamre.org and BibleGateway.com have the Bible in Hebrew. You don't need to be tied down to one specific site. If that site goes down, there are other options. There are plenty of other options, too.

and if I had known that טְבוּלִים təḇûlîm were the word you were looking for, I would have told you that it means "dipped," not "dyed," even if it does mean that they had been dipped in coloring. I just didn't see a word "dyed" in that verse.
I also saw the word 'dipped', so I ask you : what eles could their hat have been dipped into - Honey?

chris watts
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hi,

The word טבולים here has nothing to do with the regular Hebrew root טבל (as dipping).
It is a loan word from Akkadian "tublu" (Ezekiel's book has some Akkadian influence).
And this is some sort of a "wrapped hat".
David Hunter
Chris Watts

Post by Chris Watts »

ducky wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:07 am Hi,

The word טבולים here has nothing to do with the regular Hebrew root טבל (as dipping).
It is a loan word from Akkadian "tublu" (Ezekiel's book has some Akkadian influence).
And this is some sort of a "wrapped hat".
Ok, that clears that up then. Thankyou david.

Chris watts
ducky

Post by ducky »

By the way,
without getting into this discussion.
Just a note to say that some understand the עיט צבוע as a specific bird - Aquila.
צבוע would be like in the word אצבע which means "finger"
And this aquila (or eagle) has a big finger (which Vultures don't, for example)

And so עיט צבוע would be just a description of the species.
David Hunter
Dizerner

Post by Dizerner »

ducky wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:10 pm By the way,
without getting into this discussion.
Just a note to say that some understand the עיט צבוע as a specific bird - Aquila.
צבוע would be like in the word אצבע which means "finger"
And this aquila (or eagle) has a big finger (which Vultures don't, for example)

And so עיט צבוע would be just a description of the species.
Great info, thanks. That explains the translation of the Koren Bible here I posted above. Do you think it's a likely reading? It makes more of a parallel with a roaring lion (the claws being antagonism) and seeing as it is just one word creating the uncertainty it does have an Occam's razor type appeal.

My inheritance is a long clawed eagle to me. But the eagle is round about her! Come, assemble together all the wild beasts of the field, bring them to devour. (Jer 12:9 Koren Bible)
David Hunt <--- no one famous
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hi Dizerner,

I will address your words later (maybe tomorrow or this weekend) I didn't read your words above and this thread, so I need to read it.

But just a question...
You wrote in your signature "David Hunt"
Is that a coincidence? Because my signature says "David Hunter".
David Hunter
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Chris, to help you in your studies, I might suggest that before you look at anything in English, use a straight Hebrew concordance. Input the Hebrew word or words you are puzzled by. Then, look at each citation in its Hebrew context. Before looking up any words or forms, or comparing to translations (KJV or any other, in any language), try making reasonable guesses for the function and meaning of the word you are researching. Translations are helpful, but translators are human and get things wrong sometimes. And some translators allow biases to color their translations. There is also the problem that some rare Hebrew words are so obscure that it is unclear what is meant, so some translations of them are mere guesses. Thankfully, that sort of problem is rare, but it does happen. The thing is, you have as much right as anyone to decide on Hebrew word meanings, as long as you respect the actual usage of the language. Don't make the mistake of thinking, "Well, it ought to mean X, so it does", unless you have some good evidence to back it up. Which dictionaries are you using?
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Dizerner

Post by Dizerner »

ducky wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:29 pmIs that a coincidence? Because my signature says "David Hunter".
Just a coincidence, I'm a nobody. I noticed some scholars had a similar name, but we are required to put the name here so.
David Hunt <--- no one famous
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

And yes, Chris, please do cite the verse(s) in Hebrew and indicate which Hebrew words you have questions about. As Jason mentioned, there are several websites you can copy and paste from. There are also several free Bible software apps that use Hebrew Bibles which you can use offline to copy from. You can also use virtual keyboards to type the Hebrew yourself into your post, if you like. I can advise you about the apps and keyboards if you'd like to try those ways.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Chris Watts

Post by Chris Watts »

talmid56 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:49 pm There are also several free Bible software apps that use Hebrew Bibles which you can use offline to copy from. You can also use virtual keyboards to type the Hebrew yourself into your post, if you like. I can advise you about the apps and keyboards if you'd like to try those ways.
Thankyou Talmid for your helpful suggestions. I would actually appreciate a lnk to that free hebrew bible software that can be used offline.

The absence of what Jason mentioned was just a once time event.

Dictionaries? I use Tragelles, an online BDB when I can get past the abbreviated lingo and insane refernces every other syllable to other middle eastern languages, no love for that. Even-shoshan, bible hub's resources I use quite often and an analytical lexicon. I have no doubt that comparing English translations can, at times, be helpfu, I use to do this, but found it too much of a distraction and the sub-conscience influence it had was not helpful, and so I simply prefer not to look at the different English versions. KJV, Hebrew and my insanity will suffice.

Chris watts