Quick Query Isaiah 61:3

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Chris Watts

Quick Query Isaiah 61:3

Post by Chris Watts »

לָשׂ֣וּם ׀ לַאֲבֵלֵ֣י צִיּ֗וֹן לָתֵת֩ לָהֶ֨ם פְּאֵ֜ר תַּ֣חַת אֵ֗פֶר

I saw various translations for this word לָשׂ֣וּם such as 'to put upon', 'To console', but could not agree. Instead, keeping with the sense of
'To appont', I was wondering, is this simply a case of laying extra emphasis in the same manner that perhaps we would say in English for example: "Look I want you to, I need you to give that book to him'. It is a simple matter of stressing the absolute determination to do something.

Secondly, that Paseq after the word 'to appoint'; I know it is a divider, but wondering if it too has the same affect of stressing, by the need to pause, thereby placing the stress on that word as one is speaking this verse, again contributing to the double emphasis of both verbs, to appoint and to give having basically exactly the same meaning?

Thanks
Chris watts
Jason Hare

Re: Quick Query Isaiah 61:3

Post by Jason Hare »

That is again legarmei, which comes within the series munach [legarmei] munach revia. I don't think it should be thought of as a disjunction in this combination. It's part of the phrase, not a break of the phrase.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Chris Watts

Re: Quick Query Isaiah 61:3

Post by Chris Watts »

Jason Hare wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:37 am That is again legarmei, which comes within the series munach [legarmei] munach revia. I don't think it should be thought of as a disjunction in this combination. It's part of the phrase, not a break of the phrase.
Ok, I see this particular clause ends with a revia, so this is a legarmeh as you say. My index says that it is the very weakest disjunctive. In all practical terms then it has no purpose grammatically as far as reading - just for musical notation I suppose.
chria watts