2 Questions -- הָאֱלֹהִים

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Matt Green

2 Questions -- הָאֱלֹהִים

Post by Matt Green »

Hello:

1. I was wondering if there is a list that shows all the occurances of הָאֱלֹהִים in Scripture? I found a website with a list, but I do not know if it is all of them or not.

2. I was listening to a podcast the other day that said that הָאֱלֹהִים in Exodus 21:6 and Psalm 82:1 has to be translated as "the gods." What confuses me is that I have seen הָאֱלֹהִים in other spots that would not make sense in translating it as "the gods." Is there a rule where the definite article is attached to the Hebrew word for "God"?
Glenn Dean

Re: 2 Questions -- הָאֱלֹהִים

Post by Glenn Dean »

Hi Matt:

I use https://library.alhatorah.org/Search to search - it shows 345 occurrences of האלהים in the Tanach (if you're getting more than 345, click "Select Database" to make sure it's only searching in the Tanach.

BTW, I don't see the definite article in Ps 82.1,

Glenn
Matt Green

Post by Matt Green »

You are right. Some translations translate it as "the gods" without the definite article. Sorry.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

No, there's no rule. The anarthrous form אֱלֹהִים is very frequently definite even without the article. Notice that it is even anarthrous with the name יְהוָה in the phrase יְהוָה אֱלֹהִים "the Lord God." The articular יְהוָה הָֽאֱלֹהִים appears nine times in the Tanach (Joshua 22:34; 1 Samuel 6:20; 1 Kings 18:21, 37; Nehemiah 8:6; 9:7; 1 Chronicles 22:1, 19; and 2 Chronicles 32:16). Every other occurrence of the combination is anarthrous and definite.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳