Egyptian and Ethiopian Languages

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Chris Watts

Re: Egyptian and Ethiopian Languages

Post by Chris Watts »

kwrandolph wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:25 pm You can’t use Genesis 2 as a geological reference
Karl W. Randolph.
Yes I can.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Chris Watts wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:59 pm
kwrandolph wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:25 pm You can’t use Genesis 2 as a geological reference
Karl W. Randolph.
Yes I can.
:lol:

Well played.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Karl W. Randolph.
Yes I can.
Not for post-flood places.

Maybe I should have said that at first.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:16 pm Not for post-flood places.
Are there pre- and post-flood localities? Do you have a list of places that existed before the Flood that are still around?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Chris Watts

Post by Chris Watts »

kwrandolph wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:16 pm
Karl W. Randolph.
Yes I can.

Karl W. Randolph.
Euphrates? Pre flood name and Post flood name.

Consider also that the other three rivers are governed by Participle verbs - Moses was not speaking in past tense but used an ongoing action verb.

chris watts
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:58 am
kwrandolph wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:16 pm Not for post-flood places.
Are there pre- and post-flood localities? Do you have a list of places that existed before the Flood that are still around?
None that can be recognized. All have been either washed out or buried.
Chris Watts wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:54 am
kwrandolph wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:16 pm

Yes I can.

Karl W. Randolph.
Euphrates? Pre flood name and Post flood name.
They simply called the first river they came across by a name with which they were familiar from a river with the same name that existed before the flood. That is similar to groups of immigrants to the U.S. naming new towns and places with the same names as the places from where they had come.
Chris Watts wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:54 am Consider also that the other three rivers are governed by Participle verbs - Moses was not speaking in past tense but used an ongoing action verb.

chris watts
Biblical Hebrew has no tenses, therefore you can’t talk about “past tense” concerning Biblical Hebrew.

Further, there’s literary evidence that Moses incorporated older documents in compiling Genesis. The literary evidence suggests that Adam himself wrote Genesis 2:5–5:2.

DSS and later Hebrew has tenses, which has persisted to today.

Karl W. Randolph.
Chris Watts

Post by Chris Watts »

Well we won't get into the tense argument, regardless of how a language forms its grammar, EVERY language spoken NEEDS to refer to what happened in the past, the Future and the Present - logical deduction methinks.

Trust you to crawl out of the quagmire by referring to a document written by Adam.

chris watts
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Chris Watts wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:10 pm Well we won't get into the tense argument, regardless of how a language forms its grammar, EVERY language spoken NEEDS to refer to what happened in the past, the Future and the Present - logical deduction methinks.
Tense is only one way to differentiate what happened in the past, present and future. There are other ways to make that distinction. Biblical Hebrew just happens to use other ways, other than tense, to make that differentiation.
Chris Watts wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:10 pm Trust you to crawl out of the quagmire by referring to a document written by Adam.

chris watts
And what do you mean by that? Is that a faith statement?

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:58 pmBiblical Hebrew has no tenses, therefore you can’t talk about “past tense” concerning Biblical Hebrew.
Just a reminder that this is a claim that is in contention. The forms are not coded for tense, but the language itself has tense.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:12 pm
kwrandolph wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:58 pmBiblical Hebrew has no tenses, therefore you can’t talk about “past tense” concerning Biblical Hebrew.
Just a reminder that this is a claim that is in contention. The forms are not coded for tense, but the language itself has tense.
“Tense” refers to different forms that code for time reference. Biblical Hebrew lacks such forms.

However, use of the language through contextual clues indicates time references, but those are not the same as “tense”.

Jason, I think we are on the same page on this question, just disagree on the terms to use.

Karl W. Randolph.