Maqqef vs inseparable, and choices in pronouns

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: Maqqef vs inseparable, and choices in pronouns

Post by Jason Hare »

bdenckla wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:37 pm Thanks Jason, I see now that I was ignoring your point about vowel length. I see now that the more refined question is what maqaf marks need to be retained in order to still obey the rules of Biblical Hebrew. In this sense perhaps maqaf straddles the vocalization and cantillation systems, providing an example of how these systems cannot easily be separated.

I.e., some maqaf marks are presumably "just for cantillation," i.e., they can be dropped without forming "illegal" words. But some cannot just be dropped thusly.
Absolutely. Consider what happens to the word את when you drop makaf. If it is connected, the word is pointed with segol (short vowel). If it is unconnected, the word is pointed with tsere (long vowel). For example, compare Gen 1:1 (אֵת הַשָּׁמַ֫יִם וְאֵת הָאָ֫רֶץ) with Gen 1:4 (וַיַּרְא אֱלֹהִים אֶת־הָאוֹר). When not utilizing makaf, you should point all instances of את with tsere, technically. Dropping makaf would change יִשְׁמָר־לָ֫נוּ in Jer 5:14 to יִשְׁמֹר לָ֫נוּ, since you cannot maintain the short vowel (kamats katan) in ישמר in an accented syllable. The makaf does play a part in how we point words.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳