Help with workbook word

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Mike Atnip

Help with workbook word

Post by Mike Atnip »

In Learning Biblical Hebrew (Kutz) workbook, starting on page 92 in the reading lesson for chapter 7, I am finding this (=קָטְלָה) beneath some words. I cannot find anything to help me know what this is supposed to mean. The meaning in the Holladay lexicon is something about dying; makes zero sense. :(
Thanks!
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Jason Hare

Re: Help with workbook word

Post by Jason Hare »

The root qof-tet-lamed (קט״ל) is used as a model for all verbs. So, the words שָֽׁמְרָה “she kept” and אָֽכְלָה “she ate” bear the same vowels and represent the same verbal form as קָֽלְטָה, the model verb (that is, third-person feminine singular [3fs]). By labeling these forms as “= קָֽלְטָה,” the authors are saying that this is a 3fs form.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Okay, thanks. It seems strange that the neither the textbook nor the workbook gives an explanation for that, but maybe I somehow missed it. Makes sense.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

On p. 166 of the textbook they have "Table 12.2: Using the Qal as a Template", they use קטל as the "template" for the root
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn Dean wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:30 am On p. 166 of the textbook they have "Table 12.2: Using the Qal as a Template", they use קטל as the "template" for the root
8-)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

How nice that they give that information 40 pages later in the text than what the exercise relates to. /sarcasm :-)
Mike Atnip