Masculine vs. feminine object

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Mike Atnip

Masculine vs. feminine object

Post by Mike Atnip »

In Ruth 1:8 I expected a feminine for the object, since she is addressing daughters-in-law: יַעֲשֶׂה [יַ֣עַשׂ] יְהוָ֤ה עִמָּכֶם֙ חֶ֔סֶד
Can someone explain the masculine here?
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Jason Hare

Re: Masculine vs. feminine object

Post by Jason Hare »

There are those who say that feminine dual looks like the masculine plural. I think they’re on to something. I posted about this here on the forum at some point in the past with a link to a specific (old-style) article. I’ll try to drudge that up for you.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Well, I cannot find anywhere where I discussed it here on the forum, but I had thought that I brought it up. I just searched online and found this article that looks like what I had read before. You might find it insightful. I’m not sure how others feel about the suggestion, but it seems plausible to me.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Well, it certainly makes sense with the dual option (I need to get my brain out of English gear and remember the dual option even exists!). Thanks for the response.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian