What does (ננ) mean?

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Mike Atnip

What does (ננ) mean?

Post by Mike Atnip »

Sometimes I see a (ננ) in some definitions in Accordance when I hover over a word. For example: (This did not paste in the same order as it is in the instant details box, but close enough.)
עַתָּ֗ה (ננ) עַתָּה Particle adverb now

In other occassions I have seen a double lamed. I cannot find anywhere to explain to me what these refer to. Thanks!
Edit: In this occasion I was on Ruth 3:2. ( וְעַתָּ֗ה הֲלֹ֥א בֹ֨עַז֙ מֹֽדַעְתָּ֔נוּ אֲשֶׁ֥ר הָיִ֖ית אֶת־נַעֲרוֹתָ֑יו הִנֵּה־ה֗וּא זֹרֶ֛ה אֶת־גֹּ֥רֶן הַשְּׂעֹרִ֖ים הַלָּֽיְלָה )
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Chris Watts

Re: What does (ננ) mean?

Post by Chris Watts »

Mike Atnip wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:21 pm Sometimes I see a (ננ) in some definitions in Accordance when I hover over a word. For example: (This did not paste in the same order as it is in the instant details box, but close enough.)
עַתָּ֗ה (ננ) עַתָּה Particle adverb now

In other occassions I have seen a double lamed. I cannot find anywhere to explain to me what these refer to. Thanks!
Edit: In this occasion I was on Ruth 3:2. ( וְעַתָּ֗ה הֲלֹ֥א בֹ֨עַז֙ מֹֽדַעְתָּ֔נוּ אֲשֶׁ֥ר הָיִ֖ית אֶת־נַעֲרוֹתָ֑יו הִנֵּה־ה֗וּא זֹרֶ֛ה אֶת־גֹּ֥רֶן הַשְּׂעֹרִ֖ים הַלָּֽיְלָה )
Hi Mike, I do not know if I can help, but maybe, I would need to know firstly what site are you looking at? What do you mean by "Accordance ".
chris watts
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Accordance is one of the popular Bible softwares. www.accordancebible.com/
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I don’t have Accordance (I’m a Logos user), but I would imagine that it’s just a sort of placeholder that doesn’t represent any meaning. Could you take a screenshot to show what it looks like?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Jason Hare wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:15 pm I don’t have Accordance (I’m a Logos user), but I would imagine that it’s just a sort of placeholder that doesn’t represent any meaning. Could you take a screenshot to show what it looks like?
Screenshot 2022-12-03 105712.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Atnip
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Here is a vocabulary list for Ruth that I pulled using the Accordance software. You will find some words with nun-nun and a few with lamed-lamed. I have not figured out what they represent but maybe someone more experienced with the language can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Atnip
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Someone advised me today that the parentheses normally contain the root of the word in question, and here it is just basically filler. Does that seem reasonable?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Well, I wondered about that. If the word has an unknown root then it gets a filler. I thought yesterday that the proper place to ask the question would be on the Accordance board. I had assumed it was a grammatical thing, but maybe it is just a softwhere thing specific to Accordance. I am going to post over there and see what they say. Thanks.
Mike Atnip
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Well, well. Accordance says nun-nun stands for "not known" root and lamed-lamed stands for "loaned lexeme". :-)
Mike Atnip
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I had intended to get back to you on this question. On the Nerdy Biblical Languages Majors (NBLM) group on Facebook, some Accordance users responded that ננ means “not known,” but I just adopted two kittens at the beginning of the week who are occupying all of my free time at the moment. I’m glad you found your answer! Where did it appear in Accordance?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳