What does (ננ) mean?

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Mike Atnip

Re: What does (ננ) mean?

Post by Mike Atnip »

Jason, if you download that vocabulary list document I attached above you will find several words on there whose root is nun-nun. But specifically the first word in Ruth 3:2 is marked as nun-nun root.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Mike Atnip wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:09 am Jason, if you download that vocabulary list document I attached above you will find several words on there whose root is nun-nun. But specifically the first word in Ruth 3:2 is marked as nun-nun root.
I understand that Ruth 3:2 is what we’ve been speaking about this whole time, no?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Ruth 3:2 is just one instance that had the first word marked as (ננ). I had seen it a number of other times as well.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian