The Non-Existence Particle

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Chris Watts

The Non-Existence Particle

Post by Chris Watts »

What is the difference between מֵאֵין and אֵין

I have 4 different grammar books incuding an old Gesenius and not one of them mentions this particle with a 'mem'. Reviewing different scriptures where מֵאֵין is used has not helped at all unfortunately so hence I am asking here. I simply can not see the difference in translation.
Thank you
Chris watts
kwrandolph

Re: The Non-Existence Particle

Post by kwrandolph »

Chris Watts wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:58 am What is the difference between מֵאֵין and אֵין

I have 4 different grammar books incuding an old Gesenius and not one of them mentions this particle with a 'mem'. Reviewing different scriptures where מֵאֵין is used has not helped at all unfortunately so hence I am asking here. I simply can not see the difference in translation.
Thank you
Chris watts
Do you have any verses that you reference?

To answer your question, I just checked the first 15 verses having מאין that came up in an electronic search. The first 10 מאין has the meaning of “from where?” Starting in Isaiah, מאין has both the meaning of “without” (Is 5:9, 6:11, 41:24) and “from where?” (Is 39:3). Isaiah 50:2 has both אין and מאין where one can contrast the two uses, אין meaning “no-one, none” while מאין used for “without”. There are another 28 verses that I didn’t check.

Are there any verses of which you know that have different meanings?

Karl W. Randolph.
Chris Watts

Post by Chris Watts »

Do you have any verses that you reference?

To answer your question, I just checked the first 15 verses having מאין that came up in an electronic search. The first 10 מאין has the meaning of “from where?” Starting in Isaiah, מאין has both the meaning of “without” (Is 5:9, 6:11, 41:24) and “from where?” (Is 39:3). Isaiah 50:2 has both אין and מאין where one can contrast the two uses, אין meaning “no-one, none” while מאין used for “without”. There are another 28 verses that I didn’t check.

Are there any verses of which you know that have different meanings?

Karl W. Randolph.
Hallo Karl, Thank you.

<<<<<<Are there any verses of which you know that have different meanings?>>>> No Karl I don't.

Going through Zephaniah here : 2:5 : הוֹי יֹשְׁבֵי חֶבֶל הַיָּם גּוֹי כְּרֵתִים דְּבַר־יְהוָה עֲלֵיכֶם כְּנַעַן אֶרֶץ פְּלִשְׁתִּים וְהַאֲבַדְתִּיךְ מֵאֵין יוֹשֵׁב
I suppose that the final clause in this verse: I will destroy you so that there will be no inhabitant. The words in italics seem to be a lot of words that must be added. Or due to the compact nature of Hebrew, would it be better to simply assume an emphatic double negation here, to emphasize. "I will destroy you, absolutely without inhabitant. I know they are exactly the same in meaning. But the latter seems harsher and was wondering whether there was any justification in the subtle nuance I have applied?

Chris watts
(PS I will be away for a week so just that you know I will not be ignoring you).
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Yes, I often find that the the Hebrew is more direct than any translation.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Chris Watts wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:58 am What is the difference between מֵאֵין and אֵין

Thank you
Chris watts
First, this expression appears in Isa 5.9; 6.11 (2); 50.2; Jer 4.7; 7.32; 10.6, 7; 19.11; 26.9; 30.7; 32.43; 33.10 (4), 12; 34.22; 44.22; 46.19; 48.9; 51.29, 37; Eze 33.28; 34.8; Zep 2.5; 3.6; Mal 2.13; Lam 3.49 (see BibleGateway for specific quotations), giving a total of twenty-nine occurrences in the text of the BHS.

This usage is specifically mentioned in The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament (HALOT) by Koehler et al. in the following:
b) with מִן‎: מֵאֵין יוֹשֵׁב without inhabitants Is 5:9, מֵאֵין מָקוֹם because there is no room Jr 7:32, cj. מֵאֵין כָּמֹהוּ (double negation, for מֵאַיִן; alt. where) none like him Jr 30:7, מֵאֵין פְּנוֹת so that (Torczyner Entstehung 761; alt. because) Mal 2:13 (prp. מֵאֵן‎, מאן pi.);
The same lexicon also mentions usages with בְּ־ and לְ־ without any measurable difference in meaning. In some verses, take the מִן as indicating the reason (“because there is no...”).
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Chris Watts

Post by Chris Watts »

Thank you Jason, though I did not know that bible gateway had hebrew, I found the site confusing to be honest and could not find any hebrew, so how did you get it?
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Chris Watts wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:58 am Thank you Jason, though I did not know that bible gateway had hebrew, I found the site confusing to be honest and could not find any hebrew, so how did you get it?
You just change the version to WLC or look under “all languages.” For example:
Genesis 1 in WLC on BibleGateway.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Chris Watts

Post by Chris Watts »

Jason Hare wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:35 am
Chris Watts wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:58 am Thank you Jason, though I did not know that bible gateway had hebrew, I found the site confusing to be honest and could not find any hebrew, so how did you get it?
You just change the version to WLC or look under “all languages.” For example:
Genesis 1 in WLC on BibleGateway.
Many thanks Jason

Chris watts