אחל

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
MGWB

אחל

Post by MGWB »

Does the name Cozbi (אחל) mean "my lie," "my liar," "my deception," or "my disappointment"?

And why would any parents (in any culture, at any time) give their daughter such a name?
Michael Gerard Burke
markofcain

Re: אחל

Post by markofcain »

כָּזְבִּי the feminine name in Numbers 25 and hypothetical form for the phrase "my deception" כְּזָבִי are two different words. The feminine name translated "Cozbi" is Akkadian according to HALOT with "luxuriant" as its meaning.

The addition of the pronominal suffix onto כזב "lie or deception" would reduce the vowel under the first consonant creating open syllables for the first and second consonants which in turn would cause the dagesh lene to disappear in the Beth. Thus the sound of someone saying "my lie" in Hebrew would be very different than the sound of the Akkadian name Cozbi.

So to answer your question, No, Cozbi does not mean "my lie". Her mother's reputation is restored even though Cozbi's is not. ;)
Mark Cain
Sarasota, FL USA

http://www.markcain.com
MGWB

Post by MGWB »

Thank you.
Michael Gerard Burke
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

MGWB wrote:Does the name Cozbi (אחל) mean "my lie," "my liar," "my deception," or "my disappointment"?

And why would any parents (in any culture, at any time) give their daughter such a name?
Cozbi was not a Hebrew woman, so there’s a good chance that her name had a different meaning in Midionite.

Karl W. Randolph.