pronounciation of O sound

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
MGWB

pronounciation of O sound

Post by MGWB »

Would ולג be pronounced "log," as in "put a log on the fire," or "lowg" (as in "low+a guttural g sound)?
Michael Gerard Burke
markofcain

Re: pronounciation of O sound

Post by markofcain »

Pronunciation of Biblical Hebrew is debated at times particularly when it comes to the vowels and some of the Begadkephat letters. There seems to be less distinction in modern Hebrew than is comfortable for many Biblical Hebrew users. Added to this is the fact that Biblical Hebrew pronunciation finds its roots in a few different camps -- such as Sephardic and Ashkenazic. Biblical Hebrew is usually taught as a mixture of the camps resulting in the tongue-in-cheek designation of "American Seminarian."

Notwithstanding to answer your question, since I make no distinction in the gimel with or without the dagesh lene, the hypothetical word לוֹג should be pronounced to rhyme with rogue and the fashion magazine Vogue.
Mark Cain
Sarasota, FL USA

http://www.markcain.com
MGWB

Post by MGWB »

markofcain wrote:Pronunciation of Biblical Hebrew is debated at times particularly when it comes to the vowels and some of the Begadkephat letters. There seems to be less distinction in modern Hebrew than is comfortable for many Biblical Hebrew users. Added to this is the fact that Biblical Hebrew pronunciation finds its roots in a few different camps -- such as Sephardic and Ashkenazic. Biblical Hebrew is usually taught as a mixture of the camps resulting in the tongue-in-cheek designation of "American Seminarian."

Notwithstanding to answer your question, since I make no distinction in the gimel with or without the dagesh lene, the hypothetical word לוֹג should be pronounced to rhyme with rogue and the fashion magazine Vogue.
Thank you, but I don't think it's a hypothetical word, I think it's a liquid measure.

Am I mistaken?

And would the proper pronunciation still rhyme with rogue and Vogue?
Michael Gerard Burke
markofcain

Post by markofcain »

Yes. You are correct. It is a Biblical word. I fear that I misread your Hebrew word and placed the Waw conjunction in your example as Holem-Waw. The pronunciation would be the same.
Mark Cain
Sarasota, FL USA

http://www.markcain.com