A Hebrew Lexicon which contains LXX glosses?

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Stephen Hughes

A Hebrew Lexicon which contains LXX glosses?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

I would like advice about which Hebrew lexicon lists the glosses for the Greek which corresponds to the Hebrew Vorlage. Could anyone recommend one?
Stephen Hughes BA (Greek), BTh, MA (Egyptology)
וַאֲהַבְתֶּ֖ם אֶת־הַגֵּ֑ר כִּֽי־גֵרִ֥ים הֱיִיתֶ֖ם בְּאֶ֥רֶץ מִצְרָֽיִם׃ (Deut. 10:19)
SteveMiller

Re: A Hebrew Lexicon which contains LXX glosses?

Post by SteveMiller »

Stephen,
I do not know of a Hebrew Lexicon that does that.
The free program Online Bible available at onlinebible.net comes with a free LXX_HebToGrk mapping and vice versa.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

SteveMiller wrote:The free program Online Bible available at onlinebible.net comes with a free LXX_HebToGrk mapping and vice versa.
That sounds promising. What I am using now is the website studylight.org which gives mapping of individual words; either Greek (e.g. κύριος) to Hebrew, or Hebrew (e.g. אָדֹן) to Greek. The weakness that that has is that there is no searchablity and only word to words correspondences are given.

If I can get the software you recommended working, then perhaps that will give a more sophisticated body of information showing contexts.
וַאֲהַבְתֶּ֖ם אֶת־הַגֵּ֑ר כִּֽי־גֵרִ֥ים הֱיִיתֶ֖ם בְּאֶ֥רֶץ מִצְרָֽיִם׃ (Deut. 10:19)
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

That sounds like about what you get in OnlineBible. For any Hebrew word, you get the Gk words (transliterated to English) that the LXX translated it to along with the Strongs # for each. You can then search for Strongs # to find the uses of the word in the NT, or search the LXX greek for the OT words.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Stephen Hughes wrote:I would like advice about which Hebrew lexicon lists the glosses for the Greek which corresponds to the Hebrew Vorlage. Could anyone recommend one?
I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "glosses for the Greek"? Do you mean "Greek glosses"? If so, how does that differ from what studylight.org provides? Are you looking for something like Hatch and Redpath's Concordance to the Septuagint? Could you provide a specific example of what you would like such a lexicon to include?
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Ken M. Penner wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:I would like advice about which Hebrew lexicon lists the glosses for the Greek which corresponds to the Hebrew Vorlage. Could anyone recommend one?
I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "glosses for the Greek"? Do you mean "Greek glosses"? If so, how does that differ from what studylight.org provides? Are you looking for something like Hatch and Redpath's Concordance to the Septuagint? Could you provide a specific example of what you would like such a lexicon to include?
"glosses for the Greek" = "glosses for each Hebrew word, which were used by translators from Hebrew for making the Greek version of the OT".

My thinking is that my Greek is adequate and eventually I'll be relating the Hebrew and Greek together in looking at the MT and the LXX, so I may as well memorise (re-acquire) my Hebrew vocabulary in a Hebrew — Greek format. English is a nice langauge and has many scholarly resources, but perhaps I can use English as the third leg to balance the stool, rather than the primary support for both Hebrew and Greek.

What I want is basically what studylight.org gives me, but in an extracted way (if on paper) and with some search / cross-reference capability if it is online (Strongs as SteveMiller says is good and statistics would be good too). I haven't shown it accurately here, but I would like the Greek entries eithe from literal to metaphorical or from most frequent to least (or a sensible combination of both of those). I realise that the chances of something like this being in existence is slight to very slight, but anyway:
A possible format for Heb to Greek word list wrote:לֵב (H3820) - διάνοια (G1271) (freq.); καρδία (G2588) (freq.); νοῦς (G3563) (freq.); στῆθος (G4738) (freq.); φρήν (G5424) (freq.); φρόνησις (G 5428) (freq.); ψυχή (G5590) (freq.);
I also get it that a qualification for understanding how a translation was made from one language to another is a good working knowledge of both langauges.
Ben Putnam

Post by Ben Putnam »

Stephen Hughes wrote:"glosses for the Greek" = "glosses for each Hebrew word, which were used by translators from Hebrew for making the Greek version of the OT".
Hi Stephen,

What makes you think the LXX translators used glosses to translate the Hebrew texts into Greek? That would be somewhat odd for a translator to do—though there is nothing wrong with having a list of common renderings (like Heb. shamayim to Gk. OURANOS).
Stephen Hughes wrote:I also get it that a qualification for understanding how a translation was made from one language to another is a good working knowledge of both langauges.
This gets closer. A translator usually wants to convey a similar meaning to that of the source text. This is often not accomplished by using glosses in the target language. A translator is usually (read "always") expected to control both languages in order to do this. But some renderings make for better choices and some poorer—and some just 'different'. A reader who controls both languages is often (but not always) able to see why a translator made certain choices (and didn't make certain others).
Ben Putnam
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Ben Putnam wrote:What makes you think the LXX translators used glosses to translate the Hebrew texts into Greek?
Because people feel that the LXX is comparable to the Hebrew.

I can see that in some instances the "translation" does reach the fluidity of a pious recomposition, and in other cases relationship been Hebrew and Greek is more recognisable. The type of wordlist that I am imagining would be more useful in the later "literal" translation situation, but would never-the-less be a useful comparison for a fluid translation too.

I recognise a) that it is like collating and listing all the correspondences between an English translation and the Hebrew text, b) a lexicon is usually more than that, because there are other ways of adding to the efficacy of producing a lexicon, and c) what I am asking will not include evidence from the NT when certain verses are rendered into Greek using possibly the same and possibly different words.
Ben Putnam wrote:translators us[ing] glosses to translate the Hebrew texts into Greek ... would be somewhat odd
It has been known to have been done before. I am not imagining that that would be all that would be needed (if that has given rise to your "odd" comment above).
Stephen Hughes

New Testament Greek to Hebrew Dictionary

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Has anyone tried this; New Testament Greek to Hebrew Dictionary. The Hebrew glosses appear to be unpointed.