Where are the case endings in Hebrew?

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
kwrandolph

Re: Street-view Hebrew

Post by kwrandolph »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
kwrandolph wrote:
Stephen Hughes wrote:I'm happy to hear you out. I've made 3 attempts to learn Hebrew with textbook grammar already, so in that context, I'm willing to work with your model for a while.
You won’t really learn the language until you use it. Just sitting down and reading it is already using the language. If you depend on books to get you there, you’ll never arrive.
I am the type of person who studies a map in detail and goes through various expected routes on google streetview, or talks to people who live there or who have visited there before, before visiting a new city.
The map won’t get you to your destination, you have to get out on the road and actually travel to get to your destination. You have to try even when the map is not clear.
Stephen Hughes wrote:The questions that I am asking you are to give me that perspective. I feel that that has been lacking in the approaches that I have made previously.

Thanks for that extensive reply, let's add a 2nd dimension to the language. How is time reference indicated / marked?
Time was not marked out by grammar, rather by context.

Time was important to the ancient Hebrews, as theirs was a history-based religion. So they have words like “now”, “then”, “today”, “tomorrow”, etc. They numbered days, months and years. But there was no way for them to indicate time through the grammar of their language, therefore they marked time by other means.
Stephen Hughes wrote:What are the significant distinctions? Remote v. near time? actions that can be changed (now) actions that are imagined but can not be changed (before) and actions that are imagined and can be changed (future)?
I’m not sure what you mean by these questions.

We don’t know what may have existed in popular literature that didn’t survive the destruction of war and time.

The literature that survives treats time with all the dryness of a history prof lecturing before his class. They were rather matter of fact about time.

But with Tanakh being as small as it is, dealing with as limited a subject matter as it does, it could badly skew our understanding of ancient Hebrew thought, in the same manner as sample error in statistical polling studies.

Karl W. Randolph.