Translate Hebrew sentence please?

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Nicolaas

Translate Hebrew sentence please?

Post by Nicolaas »

I will really appreciate it if you could please translate the meaning of the following Hebrew sentence for me? (I think I understand the meaning of each word, but am not sure what it says in the context of the full sentence)

'ĕhı̂y > gâlâh > 'êth > 'ădônây
H165 . H1540 . H853 . H136
אהי . גּלה . את . אדני

Thanks in advance!!
Nicolaas Roos, South Africa
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Translate Hebrew sentence please?

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Welcome to B-Hebrew, Nicolaas!

Just a note that it is forum policy to sign your posts with your first and last name. You can do that automatically by going to the User Control Panel and add it to your signature. You can also include institutional affiliation as I have done below, but only the name is necessary.

Also, in this case it would be helpful to identify the location of this text. That way, we can look at the larger context.

Thanks!
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Nicolaas

Post by Nicolaas »

Thank you, Kirk,

You wrote: "it would be helpful to identify the location of this text. That way, we can look at the larger context"

:oops: Actually I was hoping you wouldn't ask that, because it is not a Bible text - that I know off. I took so long to respond, because I know It must sound strange to you, but over 20 years ago I had a vivid dream in which there was a noisy crowd. Then suddenly a man forcefully grabbed me by the shirt and pulled me close to him and in a very urgent manner said these words to me in Hebrew: I only recognized the word "Adonay" at the time. I started searching for the meaning of these words, seperately, but the more I come to understand a little bit of Hebrew, the more I think that in the context of the full sentence it might have a specific meaning that I might miss? It bothers me somewhat that after all these years I still don't have a clear understanding of what the sentence might mean. Mayby you could shed some light on it for me. It seems to mean something like "I will reveal Myself (as) God"

I will really appreciate ANY insight on the meaning.

Thank you for your help!

Nicolaas

Post by Nicolaas »

:idea: I haven't seen the words, I have only HEARD the words, and I don't know Hebrew well, so maybe it will be best if you could listen to the audio I have recorded, saying the words as I heard it? (Maybe I have identified the wrong Hebrew words?)

Here is a link to a small Sound File (49.7 KB) which you could download from Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3xVI3 ... sp=sharing

Thanks again! :D

Regards,
Nicolaas Roos
Pere

Post by Pere »

How do you know, Nicolaas, that what you heard was Hebrew indeed?
What are the clues of the fact you were sure (twenty years ago) that those words you heard were Hebrew words? 
The presence of the word "Adonay" does not necessarily imply that the whole sentence was uttered in the Hebrew language...

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)
Pere Porta
Nicolaas

Post by Nicolaas »

Pere wrote:How do you know, Nicolaas, that what you heard was Hebrew indeed?
What are the clues of the fact you were sure (twenty years ago) that those words you heard were Hebrew words? 
The presence of the word "Adonay" does not necessarily imply that the whole sentence was uttered in the Hebrew language...

Pere Porta
Thanks for your input, Pere. I have phoned a Jewish Rabbi that morning and asked if he could tell me what it means, however, I first asked him wat Adonay means, and then, separately asked him wat the meaning of the first part of the sentence would be, becuase at the time I was somehow uncomfortable to give him the full sentence. He recognized the words as Hebrew and said the first part means "I will reveal myself" or "I will uncover myself". (This translation was confirmed afterwards by a Christian preacher who have studied Hebrew) That is a comforting message, but it does not explain the urgency in the man's behaviour - and the almost violent way he "commanded" me. What I saw was not in accordance with a message of peacefull comfort: There was something urgent: Like you would command someone to urgently go and fetch something. That is why, after all these years, I am still wondering if there is another possible translation..
Pere

Post by Pere »

The last sound or phoneme of the first word was it -i? Or maybe was it -iy?
If yes, it might be the word we find in the last part of Jdg 18:4... (with no waw).
Take a look at http://www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d001.html

Greets.

Pere Porta
Pere Porta
Nicolaas

Post by Nicolaas »

Pere wrote:The last sound or phoneme of the first word was it -i? Or maybe was it -iy?
If yes, it might be the word we find in the last part of Jdg 18:4... (with no waw).
Take a look at http://www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d001.html

Greets.

Pere Porta
It was "i" - as pronounced in English words like "Hit" or History".
porta

Post by porta »

Nicolaas,

Did you get any help on translating your sentence since June 11th till today (Juliy 7th)?

Pere Porta
Nicolaas

Post by Nicolaas »

No, not yet.