Genesis 7:10, 12 ויהי

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Lostntym8

Genesis 7:10, 12 ויהי

Post by Lostntym8 »

It would seem that ויהי which is Qal perfect 3ms (היה), “to be” can be translated “And it came to pass...”. Its main function is to begin a narrative of a past event. We see an example of it used this way at Gen. 7:10. But at 7:12 it seems to function as the main verb. I have noted that Gesenius as well as BDB indicates a possible meaning of "fall". But neither lexicon is firm in that statement. I'm curious what others may note about its use at Gen. 7:12.
T. Scott Lawson
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Genesis 7:10, 12 ויהי

Post by Kirk Lowery »

I think the reason for your uncertainty is because of the ambiguity of the syntax. There are two ways of understanding the grammar: (1) הַגֶּ֖שֶׁם is the subject of the verb וַֽיְהִ֥י. Or (2) וַֽיְהִ֥י is its own clause "And it happened" and הַגֶּ֖שֶׁם עַל־הָאָ֑רֶץ אַרְבָּעִ֣ים י֔וֹם וְאַרְבָּעִ֖ים לָֽיְלָה׃ is a verbless clause "rain (was) upon the earth...". I prefer (2) because it preserves the "normal" usage of וַֽיְהִ֥י as a text-level narrative marker which normally indicates the beginning of a narrative or a major subdivision of a larger narrative. If we accept analysis (1), then I think the meaning "and rain happened/occurred on the earth..." is the best interpretation.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Lostntym8

Post by Lostntym8 »

Thank you so much Kirk! That is very helpful!
T. Scott Lawson
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Kirk Lowery wrote:I think the reason for your uncertainty is because of the ambiguity of the syntax. There are two ways of understanding the grammar: (1) הַגֶּ֖שֶׁם is the subject of the verb וַֽיְהִ֥י. Or (2) וַֽיְהִ֥י is its own clause "And it happened" and הַגֶּ֖שֶׁם עַל־הָאָ֑רֶץ אַרְבָּעִ֣ים י֔וֹם וְאַרְבָּעִ֖ים לָֽיְלָה׃ is a verbless clause "rain (was) upon the earth...". I prefer (2) because it preserves the "normal" usage of וַֽיְהִ֥י as a text-level narrative marker which normally indicates the beginning of a narrative or a major subdivision of a larger narrative. If we accept analysis (1), then I think the meaning "and rain happened/occurred on the earth..." is the best interpretation.
“Normal” use?

My understanding is that the Yiqtol indicates continuation from what was said before, especially when preceded by a Waw prefix. That is, except when one wants to emphasize a mood other than indicative, such as subjunctive, indicating intent, expectation, possibility, etc. With that in mind, we need to look at verse 11 as well. Starting in the second half of the verse, we find, ביום הזה נבקעו כל מעינת תהום רבה וארבת השמים נפתחו ויהי הגשם על הארץ ארבעים יום וארבעים לילה “In that very day all the springs of the great depth were split open and sluice gates of heaven were opened that it would rain (the action of raining would become) upon the earth forty days and forty nights.”

As a continuation, it fits very well with the idea expressed in the preceding verse.

Karl W. Randolph.
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Karl,

I was not referring to the yiqtol or even the wayyiqtol in general, but to the use of וַֽיְהִ֥י specifically. And your consideration of the context is well taken.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh