summer winter and reproach scorn idea

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
User avatar
Galena
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:55 am
Location: Ireland

summer winter and reproach scorn idea

Postby Galena » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59 am

גַּל מֵעָלַי חֶרְפָּה וָבוּז כִּי עֵדֹתֶיךָ נָצָרְתִּי Focusing on the word חֶרְפָּה meaning reproach or scorn. From the root verb חרפָ

Dividing this into two sections:
a) Considering how the idea of autumn, the plucking, gathering of fruits leads to reproach/scorn
My only thoughts lead me to think there is a connection between the falling of leaves, the plucking from the tree, the dying, as a kind of stripping away of dignity? Hence scorn?

b) Considering that the term used in scripture to represent the whole year is וְקַיִץ וָחֹרֶף
Any ideas as to why summer and autumn are symbolic of the whole year? Seems odd. The idea that this means winter seems thin.
Regards
Chris Watts

kwrandolph
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 am

Re: summer winter and reproach scorn idea

Postby kwrandolph » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Galena wrote:גַּל מֵעָלַי חֶרְפָּה וָבוּז כִּי עֵדֹתֶיךָ נָצָרְתִּי Focusing on the word חֶרְפָּה meaning reproach or scorn. From the root verb חרפָ


Are these words really related, or are we dealing merely with homographs? I suspect the latter.

Galena wrote:Dividing this into two sections:
a) Considering how the idea of autumn, the plucking, gathering of fruits leads to reproach/scorn


What do you know about the Mediterranean climate? Summer was the time for the gathering of fruits, the last of the harvest, fall the time of plowing and seeding so that the grain crops can take advantage of the winter rains. Thus summer and fall represent the end and beginning of the growing season.

Galena wrote:b) Considering that the term used in scripture to represent the whole year is וְקַיִץ וָחֹרֶף
Any ideas as to why summer and autumn are symbolic of the whole year? Seems odd. The idea that this means winter seems thin.
Regards


Karl W. Randolph.

User avatar
Galena
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:55 am
Location: Ireland

Re: summer winter and reproach scorn idea

Postby Galena » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:20 am

thankyou for that insight, being removed from this agricultural contact it was not so obvious.
Chris Watts


Return to “Beginners' Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest