Landmark events in the life of queen Esther

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

Landmark events in the life of queen Esther

Post by Isaac Fried »

1. Brought as an innocent young girl to the royal compound in the city of Shushan on the third year of the reign of King A. Estimated age: Eight years. Reference: Est. 1:3

2. Taken to see the king on the seventh year of his reign. Estimated age: Twelve years. Reference: Est. 2:16.

3. Confronted the upstart chief of staff Haman the Agagaite on the twelfth year of the reign of King A. Estimated age: seventeen years. Reference: Est. 3:7.

Isaac Fried Boston University
SteveMiller

Re: Landmark events in the life of queen Esther

Post by SteveMiller »

Isaac,
How do you get 8 years old for #1?
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Steve:

I usually don’t read Isaac Fried’s messages, but your response made me curious.

Like you, I question where is the age reference in #1? Was Esther even taken to the palace in that year, or was that years later?

In question #2 that usually happened after the age of puberty, which usually happened from 14–16, not 12. So she would have been picked up at around 15, gone through a year of preparation (Esther 2:12), then taken to the king. So she would have been about 16 at the youngest. Maybe older.

The book of Esther doesn’t say when Haman was elevated, but it was after Esther became queen. She was most likely in her 20s when that happened.

So where does Isaac get his ages?

Karl W. Randolph.
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Steve Miller asks

My answer
It is an estimate (possibly even a conservative one) based on the assumption that Esther was at the time of her kidnapping a fresh unmarried virgin; the king would surely not go where another man went before him. It is also based on the custom, even today in places where the rule of the strong-arm still prevails, to marry off girls at a tender age (to "defile" them) in order to protect them from being taken away by force. It is also based on the banana principle: buy it green, let it ripe at home, eat it just at the right moment.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Isaac Fried wrote:Steve Miller asks

My answer
It is an estimate (possibly even a conservative one) based on the assumption…
In other words, not from the text, nor knowledge of ancient (emphasize ancient Persian culture) sources. Just speculation.

Karl W. Randolph.
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

מרדכי = מר-עד-חי

Joseph

Post by Joseph »

If we're wildly speculating, Jewish tradition often puts Esther's marriage at 40, with 74 and 80 also proposed for numerological reasons (Gen. Rabbah 39:13; Midrash Abba Gurion, para. 20). While these are a bit far fetched, so is saying she was 8-12 years old. As far as I am aware, the ancient Persian practice would see her marriageable shortly after puberty. I doubt she would be younger than 15 when first selected.
Joseph Coates
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Reported onset of puberty in girls varies over time and place. Today it is claimed to be 9-10 years, possibly because of more precise medical information, or a richer diet.
Esther was taken to "see" the king on the seventh year of his reign. Estimated age: Twelve years. Reference: Est. 2:16.
"Marriage" is not mentioned in this book, it was all taking by force, as is still practiced today in some parts of the world.