strange verb question

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

strange verb question

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

I think I saw a verb once that was in what I call the future tense because it had a yud at the beginning, and I think it was a "he" form of the verb with the letter hay added at the end. I don't remember what the verb was, but I was just wondering, are there verbs in the future "he" form that have the letter hay added at the end where it is not the direct object "her"? I know that the letter hay is put at the end of "I" or "we" verbs sometimes for emphasis, according to what I have read in some grammar books that called them cohortative.

I tried to look for some verbs like this, but I could not find any. It is possible that I am remembering incorrectly. I am not sure.
Kenneth Greifer
S_Walch

Re: strange verb question

Post by S_Walch »

Yes, the cohortative ה-; normal usage is for the sake of wishes etc. (according to most grammars), though this is usually appended to 1st person verbs, not 2nd or third. The emphatic ה- has a different usage to the cohortative, and is a "subtle" difference of emphasis.

Cohortative ה- examples:

Gen 11:3
וַיֹּאמְר֞וּ אִ֣ישׁ אֶל־רֵעֵ֗הוּ הָ֚בָה נִלְבְּנָ֣ה לְבֵנִ֔ים וְנִשְׂרְפָ֖ה לִשְׂרֵפָ֑ה וַתְּהִ֨י לָהֶ֤ם הַלְּבֵנָה֙ לְאָ֔בֶן וְהַ֣חֵמָ֔ר הָיָ֥ה לָהֶ֖ם לַחֹֽמֶר׃

נִלְבְּנָ֣ה = let us make bricks

נִשְׂרְפָ֖ה = and let us burn them

Hos 5:15
אֵלֵ֤ךְ אָשׁ֙וּבָה֙ אֶל־מְקוֹמִ֔י עַ֥ד אֲשֶֽׁר־יֶאְשְׁמ֖וּ וּבִקְשׁ֣וּ פָנָ֑י בַּצַּ֥ר לָהֶ֖ם יְשַׁחֲרֻֽנְנִי׃

אָשׁ֙וּבָה֙ = I shall return (expressing wish/desire to do so)

Paragogic (emphatic) ה- examples:

Gen 11:3
וַיֹּאמְר֞וּ אִ֣ישׁ אֶל־רֵעֵ֗הוּ הָ֚בָה נִלְבְּנָ֣ה לְבֵנִ֔ים וְנִשְׂרְפָ֖ה לִשְׂרֵפָ֑ה וַתְּהִ֨י לָהֶ֤ם הַלְּבֵנָה֙ לְאָ֔בֶן וְהַ֣חֵמָ֔ר הָיָ֥ה לָהֶ֖ם לַחֹֽמֶר׃

הָ֚בָה = come

1 Sam 9:3
וַיֹּ֤אמֶר שְׁמוּאֵל֙ לַטַּבָּ֔ח תְּנָה֙ אֶת־הַמָּנָ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר נָתַ֖תִּי לָ֑ךְ אֲשֶׁר֙ אָמַ֣רְתִּי אֵלֶ֔יךָ שִׂ֥ים אֹתָ֖הּ עִמָּֽךְ׃

תְּנָה֙ = lit. give/put here = bring.

I mean there's quite a few examples of both of the above; would take me a while to point out each one.

Hopefully that helps if you want to do your own search :)
Ste Walch
Kenneth Greifer

Thank you, Ste, but I am really looking for the "he" (third person singular) future form with the letter hay added to the end like what you pointed out. I have been trying to look for any of them, but I don't know how to except by flipping through the pages and looking around. I don't have a scholarly book or software to look for that. I know that some people here have those things and somehow they can find things fast. I also don't want the hay at the end to mean "her" which I might be able to find. So far, I have found nothing. Maybe Leviticus 21:4 has an example, I am not sure.
Kenneth Greifer
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Hi Kenneth,
This is a hard one for BibleWorks to search for.
I searched for 3ms imperfect verbs, which gave about 4k verses.
Then I searched the results for words that start with yod and end with hey.
That gives 1082 verses.
(unfortunately BW does not let me limit the search to just the words that matched, but it searches all the verses that contained a word that matched.)

I looked thru Gen-Exo & Hab - Malachi.

I only found ‎‎ יִכְלֶ֥ה in Gen 23:6. This is not really a hey added on, but the aleph changed to a hey. None of the other uses of ‎ כלא do this. Seems like a mistake in MT. There is no DSS for the verse.

There are a lot of verbs whose roots end in hey, i.e. ‎ היה, so the 3ms imperfect starts with yod and ends with hey, but that is not a hey added on.

There are also verbs whose roots start with yod, i.e. ‎ יעד, so the 3fs perfect starts with yod and ends with hey, but that is not what you are looking for.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
Kenneth Greifer

Steve,
Thank you for trying to look things up for me. What do you think of the verb in Leviticus 21:4? Is the hey at the end "her" or something else? Also, I am not really trying to find examples of this kind of verb as much as I just wanted to know if this was some kind of grammatical rule that people know about or that is mentioned in any books? It seems to me that no one knows about any grammatical rule and no one has found any examples of the letter hay added to the end of the future "he" form of verbs that don't mean "her", so this probably doesn't exist. Usually, if there is a grammatical rule about something like this, someone on B-Hebrew will know about it. In my original question, I mentioned that I think I have seen this, but I am not sure, so it is possible that my memory is wrong.
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

Wow. I made a mistake. The verb is in Leviticus 21:5, not 21:4. It says יקרחה.
Kenneth Greifer
Saboi

Post by Saboi »

יהיה - "He will" (Gen 16:12)
הירבה - "He will make many? (Job 41:3)
יעשה־לה - "He shall deal with her" (Exodus 21:9)
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Kenneth,
Lev 21:5 seems to be a mistake. SMP and DSS say יקרחו
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Theorema Egregium of Hebrew grammar:
A Hebrew word is a root plus personal pronouns.
Hence in Lev. 21:5 it is
יִקְרְחוּ = היא-קרח-הוּא
קָרְחָה = קרח-היא

The only question is who are these היא and הוּא, which we need to identify from the context.

We need, methinks, to be also careful of wishful textual embellishments about "exhortation", "emphasis", "desire", "intensity", and the like, based on uncommon "paragogic" word forms

Isaac Fried, Boston University
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Isaac Fried wrote:T
We need, methinks, to be also careful of wishful textual embellishments about "exhortation", "emphasis", "desire", "intensity", and the like, based on uncommon "paragogic" word forms
I completely agree, Isaac. In the case of Lev 21:5, MT ketiv differs from DSS and SMP, and MT ketiv does not make sense.
So either MT has a mistake or DSS and SMP are mistaken.

What do you think about יִכְלֶ֥ה in Gen 23:6?
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit