Some Helpful Videos

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Ben Putnam

Some Helpful Videos

Post by Ben Putnam »

I stumbled across a nice YouTube playlist containing 10 videos. The first and last videos are biblical texts with actions to aid in memorization. Videos 2–8 illustrate TPR (total physical response) in an immersive environment of biblical Hebrew. Very interesting and useful for those of us who are developing fluency in the language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4S8nOU ... 2134F474A2
Ben Putnam
ivrit

Re: Some Helpful Videos

Post by ivrit »

Interesting. Thank you!
Garbo Hui

Post by Garbo Hui »

Thank you! :)
Ben Putnam

Post by Ben Putnam »

Ben Putnam
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Ben Putnam wrote:I stumbled across a nice YouTube playlist containing 10 videos. The first and last videos are biblical texts with actions to aid in memorization. Videos 2–8 illustrate TPR (total physical response) in an immersive environment of biblical Hebrew. Very interesting and useful for those of us who are developing fluency in the language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4S8nOU ... 2134F474A2
How are these different from modern Israeli? The pronunciation is modern and grammar not Biblical. There are questions on even some of the vocabulary.

The teaching method is sound.

Karl W. Randolph.
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Karl,

Since you yourself have stressed that we don't really know what the Biblical pronunciation was, and you contend the Massoretic can't be trusted, I submit that the pronunciation used is not really relevant. Your grammar issue, though, would be. Can you give us some examples of how the grammar in the videos doesn't match up with Biblical Hebrew? And, examples of misused vocabulary, too.

דּוּאֵין דּוּלֵינִי
Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

talmid56 wrote:Karl,

Since you yourself have stressed that we don't really know what the Biblical pronunciation was, and you contend the Massoretic can't be trusted, I submit that the pronunciation used is not really relevant.
Agreed that pronunciation isn’t that relevant, except where the pronunciation indicates meaning. And even there the Masoretic points contain errors.
talmid56 wrote: Your grammar issue, though, would be. Can you give us some examples of how the grammar in the videos doesn't match up with Biblical Hebrew?
The first and major area I notice is in the treatment of verbs. From what I’ve been told, already by Mishnaic Hebrew, probably also DSS Hebrew, the verbs were conjugated as tenses—the Qatal as past, participle as present and Yiqtol as future. However, Biblical Hebrew didn’t conjugate for time, neither tense nor aspect.

The majority of spoken sentences recorded in Tanakh that have a present referent, indicative meaning are written as subject, verb in Qatal (not participle), object. In the videos as well as the teaching materials I’ve seen from the “Biblical Language Center” such sentences are subject, participle, object, just like in modern Israeli, though was that the pattern already established in Mishnaic times?
talmid56 wrote: And, examples of misused vocabulary, too.
I watched only a couple of videos this time, just enough to establish that they show the same grammar as the grammar taught in Biblical Language Center. I previously watched a few videos from the Biblical Language Center and noticed a few terms, but that was years ago and I don’t remember which words now. However, even in a couple videos, it sounded like the word לאט meant “slowly” while in Tanakh it means “softly, gently Genesis 33:14, Isaiah 8:6, Job 15:11 as in sneaking Judges 4:21”.
talmid56 wrote:דּוּאֵין דּוּלֵינִי
Dewayne Dulaney
Karl W. Randolph.