strange verb question

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

Re: strange verb question

Post by Isaac Fried »

For א - ה endings consider, for instance the חלא, 'fell ill', of 2Ch 16:12
וַיֶּחֱלֶא אָסָא בִּשְׁנַת שְׁלוֹשִׁים וָתֵשַׁע לְמַלְכוּתוֹ בְּרַגְלָיו עַד לְמַעְלָה חָלְיוֹ וְגַם בְּחָלְיוֹ לֹא דָרַשׁ אֶת יהוה כִּי בָּרֹפְאִים

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Here, I have just encountered another א - ה example in the root קלה-קלא. In Jer. 29:22 we read
וְלֻקַּח מֵהֶם קְלָלָה לְכֹל גָּלוּת יְהוּדָה אֲשֶׁר בְּבָבֶל לֵאמֹר יְשִׂמְךָ יהוה כְּצִדְקִיָּהוּ וּכְאֶחָב אֲשֶׁר קָלָם מֶלֶךְ בָּבֶל בָּאֵשׁ
NIV: "Because of them, all the exiles from Judah who are in Babylon will use this curse: May the Lord treat you like Zedekiah and Ahab, whom the king of Babylon burned in the fire."
In 1Sam. 17:17 we read
וַיֹּאמֶר יִשַׁי לְדָוִד בְּנוֹ קַח נָא לְאַחֶיךָ אֵיפַת הַקָּלִיא הַזֶּה וַעֲשָׂרָה לֶחֶם הַזֶּה וְהָרֵץ הַמַּחֲנֶה לְאַחֶיךָ
NIV: Now Jesse said to his son David, “Take this ephah of roasted grain and these ten loaves of bread for your brothers and hurry to their camp.
In any event, קלה באש, 'roasted in the fire" is one and the same as כלא באש and קלע באש, 'held fast and long deeply in the fire'.

Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote:Jason,

Do you know any examples of quotes with hay and alef mixed up like you said?
Words that immediately jump to mind are exemplified in the modern Hebrew דוגמה, which becomes דוגמאות in the plurl. Similarly, אמא (borrowed from Aramaic) becomes אמהות. There are plenty of examples of these forms having been standardized in modern Hebrew.

Nothing jumps to mind reading from the Bible, but I know that I've come across several instances where I expected to see a ה but saw an א instead, or vice versa. I'm sure that we can come up with some examples if we consider it.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

On page 14 of R.D. Wilson’s A Hebrew Grammar for Beginners (1908), under a section called “Feebleness of Aleph and Hê,” the author writes:
Rem. 4. In a few other cases, apparently through Aramaic influence, the vowel letter Hê is supplanted by Aleph, e. g., שֵׁנָא for the ordinary שֵׁנָה from יְשֵׁנָה.
Apparently under Aramaic influence.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

קלה is certainly a variant of צלה, 'roast', which, in turn, is but a variant of דלה, 'pull-up', and שלה, 'lift, raise', and finally תלה, 'suspend'. Hence 'to roast' is to put directly over a fire.