Biblical and Modern Hebrew

A forum for the discussion of teaching methods and class objectives for teaching Classical Hebrew.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Biblical and Modern Hebrew

Post by Jason Hare »

To what extent do you think it's possible to teach biblical Hebrew using modern theory without incorporating the lexeis of rabbinic and modern Hebrew?

Also, do you think that biblical Hebrew can be taught communicatively using forms such as vayyiqtol (for instance)?

Do you have any experience teaching or learning in such a system?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Re: Biblical and Modern Hebrew

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote:To what extent do you think it's possible to teach biblical Hebrew using modern theory without incorporating the lexeis of rabbinic and modern Hebrew?
What do you mean by “modern theory”?

If you mean modern theories about structure of the language, the question then becomes: which theory? I think there’s only one that fits the text, but there are others that are being taught.

If you mean pedagogical theory, even there there are questions, as we don’t know how Biblical Hebrew was pronounced.
Jason Hare wrote:Also, do you think that biblical Hebrew can be taught communicatively using forms such as vayyiqtol (for instance)?
Depends. What are the theories concerning forms such as the vayyiqtol. I have no problem with them. But most people that I see don’t understand how it’s used. Hence they have no solid understanding how to apply them.
Jason Hare wrote:Do you have any experience teaching or learning in such a system?
Unfortunately, no. The closest I’ve gotten to it is writing about it both here in this forum, and as an appendix to the dictionary I wrote.

Karl W. Randolph.