Aleppo and Leningrade Codices Online

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Aleppo and Leningrade Codices Online

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Jason,

Do you know whether one must pay customs duty?
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kirk Lowery wrote:Jason,

Do you know whether one must pay customs duty?
I know that books going into Israel are not liable to customs. They come right through to my mailbox. I'd imagine that it's the same thing coming to America (unless a trade war is being waged with tariffs, which you never know when to expect recently).

I'm actually waiting for the workbook to the new Learning Biblical Hebrew: Reading Comprehension to arrive. I've got the grammar, and the workbook is supposed to be shipping out soon!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

About a year and a half ago I ordered a Hebrew Tanakh and Hebrew New Testament in one volume, ספר בריתות, published by the Bible Society in Israel. It was ordered on Amazon but shipped directly from Jerusalem to me in America. I didn't have to pay any extra.

It is a very nice edition, pocket-sized, leather bound with gilded edges, and a zipper cover, with ribbon marker. NT has nikudot (vowel points). One interesting feature is that the Aramaic portions in the Tanakh (Daniel, Ezra) have a Modern Hebrew translation in the margins. The print is small, but easily readable in good lighting.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote:About a year and a half ago I ordered a Hebrew Tanakh and Hebrew New Testament in one volume, ספר בריתות, published by the Bible Society in Israel. It was ordered on Amazon but shipped directly from Jerusalem to me in America. I didn't have to pay any extra.

It is a very nice edition, pocket-sized, leather bound with gilded edges, and a zipper cover, with ribbon marker. NT has nikudot (vowel points). One interesting feature is that the Aramaic portions in the Tanakh (Daniel, Ezra) have a Modern Hebrew translation in the margins. The print is small, but easily readable in good lighting.
I bet I have the exact same edition. ;)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

After doing some searching, I found this:
Most products from Israel, Jordan, Chile and Singapore may also enter the United States either free of duty or at a reduced rate under the U.S. free trade agreements with those countries.
There is also a personal exemption for US citizens of $800. So in this case, I think we're safe if we order a Jerusalem Crown and spend less than US$1,000.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh