Consonantal Yod Preceded by Hiriq

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Charles Loder

Consonantal Yod Preceded by Hiriq

Post by Charles Loder »

Weird request, but could anyone supply an example of a consonantal yod preceded by a hiriq? i.e. consonant + hiriq + yod + dagesh/vowel/sheva

I this for some testing, but I don't have any software to easily find this nor can I think of any examples off hand. Biblical Hebrew is preferred, but rabbinic, liturgical, and modern are good as well. It may not ever occur either.
Jason Hare

Re: Consonantal Yod Preceded by Hiriq

Post by Jason Hare »

Are you good with dagesh in the letter? For example, סִיֵּם jumps immediately to mind, as do all kinds of adjectives with the genitilic suffix: מוֹאֲבִיּוֹת and יִשְׂרְאֵלִיּוֹת. There's רְעִיָּה and בְּנִיָּה, but I cannot think of any such combination that doesn't have dagesh.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Every Yod with a vowel that comes after Hiriq has a Dagesh (never mind if it is consonantal or not).
David Hunter
Charles Loder

Post by Charles Loder »

Ah! סִיֵּם works perfectly.

I wasn't considering the gentilics because the qamets-he or holem-vav endings introduce another level of orthographic complexity. I was really trying to isolate a case like in סִיֵּם. Again, a weird request...