Pratico and Van Pelt videos

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Matthew Longhorn

Pratico and Van Pelt videos

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Hi all, I have the video lectures of the second edition of Pratico and Van Pelt's grammar. Does anyone know if there is any worth in buying the latest release? If it isn't much different then I can't see the point in forking out the money for it!
Jason Hare

Re: Pratico and Van Pelt videos

Post by Jason Hare »

Didn't want your post to go unanswered, but I don't have anything constructive to contribute. I never used those videos. I imagine that if you have the second edition, you wouldn't be justified in putting the money out for any later edition. Have you watched them and worked through the text?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks Jason, I have been using the lectures For the second edition and have found them helpful as I am working my way through the book. Agreed with your assessment that it probably wouldn’t be worth the extra cost, unless someone chimes in with some stunning insight.

Trying to fit Hebrew study around a full time job, studying Greek and a whole bunch of other things makes it slower going than I would like! Really enjoying it though. Reading texts however simple is always a satisfying feeling and makes me eager to keep going.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Matthew Longhorn wrote:Reading texts however simple is always a satisfying feeling and makes me eager to keep going.
That's so much more important to your growth than watching multiple versions of their video lectures. Take the Bible and read passages that have meaning to you. As early as you can, get into the Ten Commandments. Get into Genesis 1. Get into the text and commit it to heart. That's where Hebrew will become alive to you — and Hebrew is much easier than Greek once you're past the beginning stage.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ralph

Post by ralph »

Matthew Longhorn wrote:Hi all, I have the video lectures of the second edition of Pratico and Van Pelt's grammar. Does anyone know if there is any worth in buying the latest release? If it isn't much different then I can't see the point in forking out the money for it!
I haven't seen his video lectures but I have his books.

people buy houses and hesitating over that is understandable.. In the case of books I wouldn't call it forking out money.. can't comment on videos as haven't seen much re them and I absorb technical info much better from books .

van pelt's material is very organised.. he doesn't put out books for no good reason..

I recall reading his BBH book and thinking "damn it'd be really useful if there was a book that explained just enough english grammar as pertains to biblical hebrew.. so that the terminology is clearer. I googled and and lo and behold he'd written that book too! "English Grammar to Ace Biblical Hebrew" by Miles V. Van Pelt

you could just get the books.
Ralph Zak
Matthew Longhorn

Hey Ralph, thanks for the reply

I completely agree with your thoughts re books. Most of the books I buy (on Greek) unfortunately cost £70+ these days and I recently spent £153 on a commentary on the Septuagint text of Exodus. Definitely not averse to paying money if the material is good and will benefit me.

I actually have his books, both the second edition and the latest one. Also his second edition lectures. That said, the videos, if I recall correctly would be £70+. If no substantial change from the old set then I can’t see the point in spending it as I can just use the books. It is nice to have a mix of learning styles, I sometimes listen to the lectures while trying to fall asleep.

The debate isn’t whether to spend money on studying languages - it is a debate over whether I would get more value upgrading the lectures or spending it on another book ;-)
ralph

Post by ralph »

oh I wouldn't especially for videos.. The only time i've bought a new edition of a book when having an earlier edition, was in a classroom situation when I wanted the same edition as the teacher and most of the class.
Ralph Zak
Matthew Longhorn

Sometimes they can be useful. Mounce did a heavy update on verbal aspect and middle voice which was well needed on his grammar. So taking in new linguistic insights can be worth an upgrade on at least one format
ralph

Post by ralph »

Maybe drop them an email and ask what the updates are.
Ralph Zak