The verb עוש

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

The verb עוש

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

My dictionary says there is a verb "to hurry" עוש but I could only find the verb "to hurry" עוץ? This verb is used in Genesis 19:15 and in other quotes. Is my dictionary wrong? Thank you.
Kenneth Greifer
Charles Loder

Re: The verb עוש

Post by Charles Loder »

Acc. to BDB, עושׁ is "to lend aid, come to help." BDB references it in Joel 4:11, but that appears to be incorrect as it is in Joel 3:11:

ע֣וּשׁוּ וָבֹ֧אוּ כָֽל־הַגּוֹיִ֛ם מִסָּבִ֖יב
Haste and come, all the surrounding nations
Gen 19:15 is:

וּכְמוֹ הַשַּׁחַר עָלָה וַיָּאִיצוּ הַמַּלְאָכִים בְּלוֹט לֵאמֹר קוּם קַח אֶֽת־אִשְׁתְּךָ וְאֶת־שְׁתֵּי בְנֹתֶיךָ הַנִּמְצָאֹת פֶּן־תִּסָּפֶה בַּעֲוֺן הָעִֽיר׃

Where the verb is אוץ (with an aleph, not ayin) meaning "to hurry."

Which dictionary are you using?
ducky

Post by ducky »

BDB gives another definition than " to hurry".
It bases its definition on the Arabic root GH-W-TH.

Those who define it as "hurry" just replace the guttural letter Ayin=ע with another guttural letter Het=ח
as if עושו is an alternative for חושו (in the meaning of "hurry").
David Hunter
Kenneth Greifer

Charles Loder wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:17 pm Acc. to BDB, עושׁ is "to lend aid, come to help." BDB references it in Joel 4:11, but that appears to be incorrect as it is in Joel 3:11:

ע֣וּשׁוּ וָבֹ֧אוּ כָֽל־הַגּוֹיִ֛ם מִסָּבִ֖יב
Haste and come, all the surrounding nations
Gen 19:15 is:

וּכְמוֹ הַשַּׁחַר עָלָה וַיָּאִיצוּ הַמַּלְאָכִים בְּלוֹט לֵאמֹר קוּם קַח אֶֽת־אִשְׁתְּךָ וְאֶת־שְׁתֵּי בְנֹתֶיךָ הַנִּמְצָאֹת פֶּן־תִּסָּפֶה בַּעֲוֺן הָעִֽיר׃

Where the verb is אוץ (with an aleph, not ayin) meaning "to hurry."

Which dictionary are you using?
I guess I was not paying attention and I misread the word I looked up in the dictionary on Blue Letter Bible. I was looking for the word that starts with ayin and I didn't notice a similar word that started with aleph and meant to hurry. I got confused. Still, in Joel 3:11, it is translated as "gather together" or "hurry", so I guess they don't really know what it means for sure. Thanks for looking it up.

The other dictionary I was using does have a few words that turn out not to exist in Biblical Hebrew because no one else has been able to find them when I asked before. It is called "Compendious Hebrew-English Dictionary" by Reuben Avinoam (Grossman) and some other people (H. Sachs and M.H. Segal) by Dvir Publishing.
Kenneth Greifer
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Kenneth Greiffer wrote:
Acc. to BDB, עושׁ is "to lend aid, come to help." BDB references it in Joel 4:11, but that appears to be incorrect as it is in Joel 3:11:
This is one place where the Hebrew has a different numbering system than does the LXX and English. It is chapter 4 in Hebrew. BDB is correct in that. I have four different Hebrew versions on my computer, and they all have a chapter 4.

As for the meaning, it is found only here and lexicographers are just guessing.

Karl W. Randolph.
Kenneth Greifer

kwrandolph wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:17 pm Kenneth Greiffer wrote:
This is one place where the Hebrew has a different numbering system than does the LXX and English. It is chapter 4 in Hebrew. BDB is correct in that. I have four different Hebrew versions on my computer, and they all have a chapter 4.

Karl W. Randolph.
Karl, thanks for pointing this out, but Charles Loder wrote that, not me.
Kenneth Greifer
Charles Loder

Post by Charles Loder »

kwrandolph wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:17 pm Kenneth Greiffer wrote:

Karl W. Randolph.
That's what I get for looking in my English bible! The correction is noted.