Online Resources for Beginners

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jonathan Robie

Online Resources for Beginners

Post by Jonathan Robie »

What are the best online resources for beginners to learn biblical Hebrew?
Michael Abernathy

Re: Online Resources for Beginners

Post by Michael Abernathy »

There are three resources I would recommend for the absolute beginner. Itunes has some material from Concordia Seminary that are worth looking at including a course on Beginning Hebrew from the Associated Mennonite Seminary and an introductory course from Concordia Seminary. I find Concordia’s offerings have more to offer the beginner as it includes an introductory course and discussions on specific passages in “Hebrew Club” and “Hebrew Readings.” The third resource I would recommend is a series of lectures from Master’s Seminary that can be found on youtube.
I have looked for similar resources from a Jewish source but I haven’t found one at this time. I would be interested to know if there are any available.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
Pere

Post by Pere »

Hi.
I'm posting here only to check out the going-coming way of my postings in this new Forum.
Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)
Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Inspired by Randall Buth and others, I've started a new blog, Let Ancient Voices Speak, to promote and provide communicative-approach resources for beginners and intermediate learners of Bib. Hebrew, Aramaic, Koine Greek, and Latin. Some Greek materials on the numbers 1-10 are already available, and I hope to make and post the first Hebrew materials within a few weeks.

I am developing my own materials as I transition away from the grammar-translation approach to a more communicative/living language approach to learning BH and other ancient languages.

You can find the blog here: http://letancientvoicesspeak.preachersfiles.com/

Dewayne Dulaney

P.S. Feedback is welcome!
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Schubert

Post by Schubert »

Dewayne,

I've tried making contact with your blog but my browser keeps spinning its wheels -- apparently in communication with Google-analytics. Are others having a similar problem?
John McKinnon
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Hi Schubert,

It must be a temporary glitch. I tried it just now after reading your post, and was able to go straight to it from the link in my post. I'm using Google Chrome at the moment, but have also accessed it at other times with Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and Opera.

Thanks for trying. Please try again and let me know if you have further problems.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Or you could try typing the blog name, Let Ancient Voices Speak, into your search engine. Alternatively, try that along with the qualifiers Hebrew, Biblical Languges, ancient Greek, Latin, living language approach, etc. The posts are all tagged so that should work too.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Peter

Post by Peter »

Another good intro and good training ressources (lectures included) for beginners: www.animatedhebrew.com