1 Kings 19, 12

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jemoh66

Re: 1 Kings 19, 12

Post by Jemoh66 »

Since Simon and Garfunkel weren't around back then, I don't think sound of silence quite does. It seems obvious to me the he heard a "voice" and that it was a whisper of a voice at that. The context is that God has come to speak with his man. So I don't see in this instance that it's a "sound" and certainly not the absurdity of a sound that makes no sound.
Jonathan E Mohler
Studying for a MA in Intercultural Studies
Baptist Bible Theological Seminary
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jemoh66 wrote:Since Simon and Garfunkel weren't around back then, I don't think sound of silence quite does. It seems obvious to me the he heard a "voice" and that it was a whisper of a voice at that. The context is that God has come to speak with his man. So I don't see in this instance that it's a "sound" and certainly not the absurdity of a sound that makes no sound.
Yeah, I'm glad that you said it. I don't think that a silent sound makes sense in the context. It's clearly supposed to mean a quiet voice, perhaps a voice that could be easily missed if one isn't paying attention.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Today I encountered Obadiah 1:16
‎וְשָׁתוּ וְלָעוּ וְהָיוּ כְּלוֹא הָיוּ
NIV: "they will drink and drink and be as if they had never been."
KJV: "yea, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been."

So, will they be something (some-thing), or actually nothing (no-thing)? Is Obadiah telling us that there is an intermediate stage between "to be" and "not to be", namely "to be a nothing"?

Isaac Fried, Boston University
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

I have been studying Psalm 65, and this discussion about 1Ki 19:12 came to mind.

‎Psalm 65:2(1) לְךָ֤ דֻֽמִיָּ֬ה תְהִלָּ֓ה אֱלֹ֨הִ֥ים בְּצִיּ֑וֹן וּ֜לְךָ֗ יְשֻׁלַּם־נֶֽדֶר׃
To You silence, praise belong, O God in Zion, and to You shall men pay a vow.

The word here דֻֽמִיָּ֬ה is a different word than ‎ דְּמָמָ֥ה in 1Ki 19:12, but similar.

In Ps 65, it seems to me to mean silence followed by praise.
There is no waw prefix on "praise" because the 2 go together so strongly, like they are one thing.

That made me think that 1Ki 19:12 was a voice followed by silence.
There is no waw prefix on silence because the voice and the silence following it act as 1 thing.

Then what about the adjective ‎ דַקָּֽה, meaning "small", "fine" or "thin"?
I think it modifies both "voice" and "silence". (The accent marks are wrong.)
A small voice would be one low in volume.
What would a small silence be?
I think "small" just makes sense to modify "voice", but it modifies both because the voice and silence are as 1 thing.
It is a small silence because it follows a small voice.

In Ps 65, it is weighty for our praise to be preceded by silence on our part, to drop our busyness and clear our mind first.
In 1Ki 19, God's small voice is followed by silence so that what He said sinks in.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
Saboi

Post by Saboi »

The Septuagint as a different reading.

αὔρας λεπτῆς "Small breeze"

Through this reading i have identified "דקה" with ψακάς "rain in small drop" therefore affirms the ד
now in Psalm 107:29, the Septuagint reads לדממה as " καὶ ἔστη εἰς αὔραν", then both verses are reading
דממה as αὔρας. ψακάς also relates too ψάμμη "Sand".

ψάμμη/דממה "Sand"

Psalm 107:29 reads "ἔστη εἰς αὔραν" as if its translating ויעמד לדממה
so perhaps דממה is an atavism.

Rev 13:1 - I stood upon the sand of the sea (ἐστάθην ἐπὶ τὴν ἄμμον τῆς θαλάσσης) (ἄμμον/מנהים)

In Joshua 10:1 וידם translates into the same verb, "ἔστη", the initial letters are just grammatical cases, ἔ/וי
דם/στη and 'Stayed" in this verse is עמד "Stand/Still" that translates into στάσει, cf. ἵστημι/σταθμός.

תרדמה - Deep Sleep (Proverbs 19:15) (Odysseus 20.14; δαρθάνω)
דומיה - house of Hades (Psalm 115:17)( Odysseus 12:21; δῶμ᾽Ἀίδαο)