1 Kings 10:22 - Carthage & Monkeys

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
talmid56

Re: 1 Kings 10:22 - Carthage & Monkeys

Post by talmid56 »

David & Solomon belong too the mythological realm and Israeli scholars admit they are fictitious.
Which scholars? And there is a difference between admitting and claiming. As for David, you need to read about the Tel Dan Inscription, which references David's dynasty as historical. By implication, this shows David is historical.

Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

As for your claim about Hezekiah being a fourth-century BC ruler, again you need to see data from archaeology. The annals of the Assyrian king Sennacherib, from c. 690 B.C., reference his attacks on Samaria (722 B.C.) and Judean cities, including Jerusalem, in 701 B.C. The Assyrian texts describe Hezekiah as a contemporary of Sennacherib. See "Sennacherib's Annals", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sennacherib%27s_Annals and Assyrian siege of Jerusalem, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sennacherib%27s_Annals. This is confirmation of much of the Biblical account from an exterior source by a pagan king. These records indicate that Hezekiah was a ruler in the 7th century B.C., 3 centuries earlier than you claim. The Bible is right, once again.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
Saboi

Post by Saboi »

Herodotus 7:89
Phoenicians formerly dwelt as they themselves say, by the Red Sea; they crossed from there and now inhabit the seacoast of Syria.

Raid by the Ionians (ia-u-na-a-a) on the Syrian coast is reported to Tiglath-Pileser III
http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/saao/saa19/corpus

Sargon's Annals
Claiming that tribute was sent to him by 'seven kings of Ya (ya-a'), a district of Yadnana

The Annals of Sennacherib mention Ia-u-da
*Ia_u (Ἰού, Ἰώ)
*Da (δᾶ , Doric for γῆ)
*Hezekiah ( ἀζηχής, Ἴσχυς, ἰσχυρός, Ἀσζέμιλκος )
*Ancient Jews are Greeks ( not Americans)

The Aqueduct (Hidden theme of the Bible)
Isaiah 39:8 - Hezekiah built a pool and a conduit
2 Chronicles 32:4 - stopped all the fountains
Isaiah 41:17 - , I will open rivers i, I will make the wilderness a pool of water,
Gen 26:18 Isaac digged the wells of water
Gen 7:11 - windows of heaven were opened
Gen 8:2 - windows of heaven were closed
Gen 6:15 - breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits
1 Kings 7:2 - breadth thereof fifty cubits, and the height thereof thirty cubits
1 Kings 7:32 - And under the borders were four wheels
Ezekiel 1:23 - And under the firmament were their wings
Genesis 1:7 - God made the firmament, and divided the waters

Who Build the Aqueduct?
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Ancient Jews are Greeks ( not Americans)
The "not Americans" part is correct. Not the "Ancient Jews are Greeks" part. If this were true, why was there so much antisemitism in the ancient world against Jews, when the Greek language and philosophy were widely admired? It doesn't add up, Lee.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Saboi

Post by Saboi »

talmid56 wrote:
Ancient Jews are Greeks ( not Americans)
The "not Americans" part is correct. Not the "Ancient Jews are Greeks" part. If this were true, why was there so much antisemitism in the ancient world against Jews, when the Greek language and philosophy were widely admired? It doesn't add up, Lee.
There was no antisemitism in Ancient times.

If Ancient Jews are not Native to Canaan then they are emigrants from elsewhere, probably the Mediterranean.
R.J. Furuli

Post by R.J. Furuli »

Dear Lee,

All your claims in the quote below are wrong, except that some Israeli scholars view David and Solomon as fictious.
David & Solomon belong too the mythological realm and Israeli scholars admit they are fictitious.

The author of Daniel gave Nebuchadnezzar a short reign, even though the historical one reigned
43 years and Daniel seem to be unaware of the existence of Nabonidus.

Darius the Mede > King Cyrus (According to Daniel)

Daniel confused the Asiatic title of Alexander the Great, Κύριος της Ασίας ( כורש משיח) which solves the broken chronology of the Bible, King Cyrus is mentioned in the continuous dialogue of Hezekiah in Isaiah 45:1.
I see no reason to continue this "discussion," because it is not a discussion at all.

Best regards,

Rolf J. Furuli
Stavern
Norway
Saboi

Post by Saboi »

I conclude that the Biblical Nebuchadnezzar is a fictional character and based on multiple historical
figures, Artaxerxes III, Alexander the Great and Antioch IV.

Antiochus IV Epiphanes
1.Persecution of Jews
2.held a mild suzerainty over Judea:
3. War against Egypt , seizing the important strategic town of Pelusium. (Jer 43:10)
4. Short reign

Daniel are filled with references to the Macedonians who are mentioned by name (Dan. 8:21)and to the early Ptolemies and Seleucids, who are mentioned by implication (the latter two are known, respectively, as the king of the north' and the 'king of the south), He also refers to the Romans, who send their ships to the aid of one of the kings of the region. (Dan. 11:29-30).

Book of Daniel seems to plagiarise the Genesis story of Joseph.

Prince of the Eunuch 'סָרִיסָיו שַׂר (Genesis 41:8)
Prince of the eunuchs 'שַׂר הַסָּרִיסִים (Daniel 1:7 )

Pharaoh as a dream, he called upon 'Magicians'(chartom חַרְטֹם) who could not interpret.(Gen 41:8)
Nebuchadnezzar II as a dream, He called upon ' Magicians' (chartom חַרְטֹם)) who could not interpret(Dan 2:2)

Joseph summoned to interpret the Dream (Gen 41:15)
Daniel summoned to interpret the Dream (Dan 2:26)

Joseph is made ruler of Egypt (Gen 41:43)
Daniel made ruler of Babylon (Dan 2:48)

Given a golden chain to wear around their neck (Gen 41:42 )
Given a golden chain to wear around their neck (Dan 5:29)
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

There was no antisemitism in ancient times.
You yourself say that Antiochus Epiphanes persecuted the Jews. Did he do this because he loved them?
If ancient Jews are not native to Canaan then they are emigrants from elsewhere, probably the Mediterranean.
They are not native to Canaan: see Genesis and Exodus.

And your attempt to tie Hezekiah to the Persian and Greek period fails, as well. The coin you showed is to illustrate an article that quotes Josephus in Against Apion as stating there was a Hezekiah who governed at a later time than the Biblical Hezekiah. That Hezekiah was a high priest, not a king. Priests had to be from the tribe of Levi. The Biblical King Hezekiah was from the tribe of Judah.

And there is, again, archaeological evidence against you: the Hezekiah seal excavated in Jerusalem, which calls him "Hezekiah, [son of] Ahaz, king of Judah". See https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dai ... -to-light/.

As for "no antisemitism in ancient times", read Josephus' Against Apion. The very reason he wrote it is to defend the Jews and Judaism against antisemitic slanders.

If you want to speculate, Lee, at least have some facts to start with. You've presented precious few in your arguments, IMHO.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Saboi

Post by Saboi »

antisemitism is the product of Christianity and America, these did not exist in Ancient times, everything was about politics
and taxation.

The 12 tribes are fiction.

If Jews are not Canaanites then why do they use a Canaanite Language and worship Canaanites gods, either
they are Canaanites, emigrant Greeks , Aliens or whatever people are taught in 3rd world American schools
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

I don't know why I'm bothering, but I'll respond to your latest post.

I don't know where you live, Lee, but most American schools do not teach anything about the Bible or its historical backgrounds these days. I know this both from going thru the system myself as a student, and from teaching in public schools. I taught Spanish, Latin, and English in American public schools for 5 1/2 years. I taught in elementary, middle school and high school. So I know a little about what is taught there.

Where is the evidence for your claim that antisemitism is the product of Christianity and America? I would remind you that Jesus of Nazareth was raised as an orthodox Jew whose earliest followers were Jews. It was not until several years after the Christian movement started that non-Jews became part of it. And even then, there was no antisemitism. None. There were efforts by some Jewish Christians to impose Judaism on Gentile Christians, but not antisemitism. I challenge you to produce one example of it from New Testament times. As for America, there are more Jews who live in America than in Israel today. Strange thing to do if America is the source of antisemitism.

Jews in the OT used a Canaanite language (Hebrew) because they settled in Canaan and learned the local language. Simple as that. This started in Abraham's time and continued after the Exodus and Conquest. The fact that they did so no more proves the Jews are Canaanites than the Philistines adapting Canaanite languages proves that Philistines are Canaanites.

And where is your evidence that the 12 tribes are fiction? There is a fiction of "ten lost tribes", but that's a different animal.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני