Is there any possibility that בַּעְלִּי can be read as NOT being masculine?

A place for those new to Biblical Hebrew to ask basic questions about the language of the Hebrew Bible.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Ruminator

Is there any possibility that בַּעְלִּי can be read as NOT being masculine?

Postby Ruminator » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 am

[Hos 2:16 NLT] (16) When that day comes," says the LORD, "you will call me 'my husband' instead of 'my master.'

Is it remotely possible that "mistress" was intended instead of "my Ba'al/Master"?

Is the Hebrew form explicitly masculine? (I don't read Hebrew at all).

בַּעְלִֽי
---------------
William Ross

talmid56

Re: Is there any possibility that בַּעְלִּי can be read as NOT being masculine?

Postby talmid56 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 pm

No possibility whatsoever, Ruminator. “Mistress” would be בַּעֲלָה, for starters (The feminine occurs in 1 Kgs. 17:17, in the construct), while the form in Hosea is from בעל. In his discussion of the declension of feminine nouns ending in qamatz-he ָ, Mansoor notes: “The pronominal suffixes are the same as those used with masculine nouns. In the singular, the ה is changed into ת before the suffixes are added.” (Menahem Mansoor, Biblical Hebrew Step by Step, Vol. 1, 149; 2nd ed., 1988) Thus, “my mistress” would be בעלתי, not בעלי.

Just out of curiosity, and meaning no offense, but why are you here if you don’t read any Hebrew? Are you studying Hebrew at all? If not, you would benefit more from the forum if you started.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים

Return to “Beginners' Forum”